I´ve allready programmed a SLC5/03 with RSLogix500 but I´m a
Newbie with RSLogix 5000 and also with CompactLogix. o_O
I´ve allready checked out the rockwell-automation hompage
but found not much for my main problems which are:

-) how the ethernet communication to for example other
IO´s or a terminal is made in the programm

-) also how to programm the communication over profibus

It will be great if somebody of you knows where to find
some informations and/or sample programs.

Thanx :D

Very good this libary and program samples....

,but my version of RSLogix5k is to old (V11.11.00) to open them!:mad:

Is there a possibility to get older samples or to update my
actual version???

Hello fieldprog;

Can't help you with Ethernet I/O, we use Controlnet to our I/O racks.
But we use Profibus-DP and -PA extensively in our projects, so maybe I can give you some insights.
We have used both a SST-PFB-CLX (from SST/Woodhead) and a Prosoft MVI56-PDPMV1 as Profibus masters in the Controllogix latform. We prefer the Prosoft, as it offers a more extensive data table and easier diagnostics (if you choose the Prosoft, do not use a 90-degree Profibus connector, you will not be able to connect the RJ-45 download plug at the same time; use a 30-degree or better a axial Profibus connector; but then you will not be able to close the front door of the module..).
Both cards come with a configuration software for the Profibus network (integration of GSD files, Profibus addressing, selection of communication modules and data sizes in the slaves)and a Controllogix project containing the basic ladder for the integration of the communication module.
You start by inserting the Profibus master in your Controllogix I/O configuration and copying the UDDTs (data-types) from the vendor project; then create controller tags linked to the imported UDDTs (there are examples in the user manual for both modules). This will create tags in the Controller Tags linked to the position of the module in the controller slots (say: Local:9:I_data)that will be an array of 240 words input.
Then copy the ladder files from the vendor project to your program (adapt the tags of the standard project to your effective slot addresses)so the modules will be active when the processor goes to Run mode.
If your network is properly setup (Correct slave configuration at the correct address with the correct wiring) you should see data in the tag, at the position determined by your configuration.
This is a liitle dense for an introduction,. but if you follow the proper sequence (as described in manuals from both manufacturers, things should go smoothly.
You can download the manuals for the Profibus-DP masters at
http://www.woodhead.com/support/onlinesupport/applicom_direct_link_sst/manuals/#5369

and
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/8332
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
thanks dchartier, i think I will get SST´s so with your
informations it should work. ;)

Now i only need to now how to make the IO-Config in the RSL5k
(1769-L32E CompactLogix and some 1734-AENT) and then the
programming of the communication over ethernet.

Communication is done through RSLinx. Once you configure the IP addresses of your ethernet devices, then use the Ethernet/IP driver of RSLinx to establish communication. In RSLogix 5000 you add communication devices and the I/O modules that are connected to them in the I/O configuration tree in the controller organizer pane. As you add them, you also must enter the correct IP address in the properties dialog box.

This document will help you:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm

Good luck,

$

The AB site has an extensive online library.

All of the manuals for the control logix are here

and compact logix is here

Inside of Logix5000 click on help and select Online Books.

Your informations are all not bad, but a sample program will

be also very helpfull, somebody know´s where to find some?

Because the sample programs at the AB-Homepage don´t

work with my version of RSLogix5k (V11.11.00).

Also my IO configuration doesn´t work:
I´m opening a new project and selecting my controller (1769-L30
... a 1769-L32E for real) and then i proceed with the IO´s,
but when i whant to add my ethernet-module (1734-AENT) i couldn´t
do so because i can choose only 1769 - Modules!?!

Last edited:
fieldprog said:
Your informations are all not bad, but a sample program will

be also very helpfull, somebody know´s where to find some?

Because the sample programs at the AB-Homepage don´t

work with my version of RSLogix5k (V11.11.00).

Also my IO configuration doesn´t work:
I´m opening a new project and selecting my controller (1769-L30
... a 1769-L32E for real) and then i proceed with the IO´s,
but when i whant to add my ethernet-module (1734-AENT) i couldn´t
do so because i can choose only 1769 - Modules!?!

you should select the 1769-L32E is a processor with ethernet port
1769-L30 will not support ethernet

Yeah ... ok ... but I can only choose the 1769-L30, so

there is no 1769-L32E to choose in my Software.
Do I have to make an update or do I need to use a new version
of RSLogix5k?

If you are in tech support with rockwell you will get new updates free of cost. otherwise renewal your warrenty for your software rockwell will charge for that