Wonderware vs. Fix32

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Please compare and contrast: Wonderware vs. Fix32.

I have been asked to update all 3 of our refrigeration systems HMI computers along with the software they are running. They are old Compaq PCs. Two are running Fix32 on NT 4.0 and one is running Wonderware InTouch on Win98.

I haven't gotten too deep into the details of the existing applications yet. They appear to be just ordinary HMI control and alarming functions for their respective PLCs.

One Fix32 system is connected to a PLC5/40 via DH+ (KT card).

Another (Fix32) is apprently only monitoring a series of SLC 5/02 controllers via DH485.

The third Wonderware system is connected to a SLC5/05 via ethernet.

All of the systems are reliable, but we know that we need to move forward to a still supported OS. Also, in the past, an outside company was used for all programming and maintenance. This is a practice we would like to avoid.

There is no desire to change the PLCs or the programs they are using that actually control the refrigeration systems, only upgrade the HMI side of things.

I haven't found out the exact rev. levels of the software installed, but I will do that soon. If it is possible to simply port the old applications to new WinXP machines, that would be jsut fine, but I would like to know what the pros and cons might be.

I have never worked with either package in the past, but I have had lots of dealings with RSView32. (It is not going to be cosidered for this project.)

Thanks in advance!
Paul

First, I agree with you on RSView. I am in the process of quoting a similar project where the customer wants to grow it into supervisory control, and RSView was never a consideration. I prefer FIX32, but have not used it since GE bought it out and made it part of their PROFICY line. I have a demo on the way, and I will repost once I see what GE has done to it.

I have several Fix32 apps running. The latest OS supported is
Windows 2000. I know others have run Fix32 under WinXP, but it isn't officially supported.

Intellution/GE has a package for Ifix that allows you to run your old Fix32 apps inide Ifix, but I haven't tried it.

I have used WW and RSView32 but not Fix. I can't help with the software comparison but I will point out a few hardware issues. Most PCs today should have a PCI slot and will NOT have an ISA slot. You might be able to find a PC with an ISA slot from an industrial PC manufacturer. The KT card is most likely ISA. You can buy a new PCI KT card for > $1000 but why not just spend the money on an Ethernet sidecar (1785-ENET) for the PLC5. If it were me I would upgrade the SLCs to Ethernet as well.

Good point about the ISA slots. I had forgotten about that potential issue. It is now on my checklist for things to check when I go back out there to get more detailed information.

Thanks,
Paul

Right out of the box, I like the ease of use of the WW. Small learning curve for a basic application. The more user requirements, the more advanced you may need to get.

As for the connectivity, I'd look into using a ControlLogix gateway.

The new version of the Intellution product is called iFix which is VBA based. I have used it in the past and it can be cumbersome. I think your best thig would be to use Wonderware's Intouch product. I use it a lot along with RSView32.

I have developed apps with each of these and InTouch is my hands-down favorite. IMHO, it's the most intuitive of the three and just seems easier to work with. I also like the fact that software licensing (a text file) is available for InTouch, which is considerably more convenient than any dongle, node-locked, or activation scheme that the others depend on.

If I had to rank them in order of (my) preference, it would be:

1. InTouch
2. Fix32/iFix
3. RSView32

Moving to Ethernet is a good idea. Not only is it an upgrade from DH+, but you can set up a NAD system with InTouch to allow easy updates of your nodes from your development station.

If I had to rank 'em:

1) InTouch
2) RSView SE/ME
3) RSView 32
4-999998) anything else
999999) Fix - any version...

In my past, I've had nothing but trouble, ever, with Intellution. Period...

I have converted many FIX32 apps to iFIX and I would have to say that it is not the easiest task. Now Intellution has what is called the FIX desktop utility that makes the conversion much easier. I haven't used this yet but will be doing another conversion soon using this utility.
As for what is better I would say Wonderware is by far more user friendly but as for your case that would be creating new apps for your FIX32 applications. I totaly agree with one above commet about the licensing. With iFIX there new keys are usb and they can be a pain.