Anyone have experience with EtherCAT?

Not so bad. I have seen a machine with 8 servo axes (also Beckhoff) making an electronic shaft serviced at 0.5 ms, camshaft controller with 32 outs also at 0.5 ms and few tents of IO at 1ms. All in one cable - TCAT System Manager shows only 4% of its bandwidth used. And it works.

[font=&quot]It’s another proprietary protocol only supported by Beckhoff. At least I don’t believe there are other makers of products for it. This should well on your high-speed application. Their software TwinCat is also good, but expensive with tag count costs and run-time fees. I would imagine that your OEM is paying those costs and passing it on to you through the total installed costs.

Joe_WaZoo
[/font]

Joe_WaZoo said:
It’s another proprietary protocol only supported by Beckhoff. At least I don’t believe there are other makers of products for it.

Not completely true. Have look at http://www.ethercat.org/ .
However I've never used other devices than Beckhoff together with ECAT.

Joe_WaZoo said:
Their software TwinCat is also good, but expensive with tag count costs and run-time fees.

Compare TCAT with a hard-PLC with comparable calculation power and similar allowed number of IO - then it's cheap.
BTW, what do you mean refering to tag count in TCAT ?

Joe_WaZoo said:
I would imagine that your OEM is paying those costs and passing it on to you through the total installed costs.

Do you suggest that when OEM buys a hard-PLC then it gives you that PLC as a gift ? Grow up.