[Siemens S7-300] - Online configuration analog input

flukie

I'm wondering if it is possible with Siemens S7-300 to reconfig the type of analog input online. I want to be able to let the user choose which kind of temperature sensor is being used by the Operator Panel. i.e. Ni120, PT100, ... Somebody who knows if that is possible ? Type of card being used is 6ES7 331 7PF01
I've been looking on the Siemens website but haven't found a hint so far..

Thx

I've only been involved with analogues on ET200's some years ago and I'm sure these were selectable from the way the modules are inserted in the card, don't believe it can be changed via code.

SFC54 through to SFC59 are system functions for parameterizing modules. From the descriptions of these functions it implies that certain modules can have their parameters written under program control. I haven't used these SFC's myself, but there is a hint that it may be possible.

There are two parts to configuring a Siemens S7-300 analog input. There's the software part carried out in the Hardware Configuration (yeah, having just re-read that it does sound a bit strange - you do the Hardware Configuration using software. Oh well, whatever). This tells the CPU the signal type, range, etc which will be returned by the module.

However because all the circuitry for current, voltage, bipolar, unipolar, RTD, thermcouple, etc is already on board the one input card, how does the electricity know which way to go? The key here is a small plug which is inserted in the side of the module in one of four possible orientations. It connects or disconnects certain parts of the on-board circuitry according to the signal type. The software tells you which orientation to use for your chosen signal.

As far as I know all the modules I've seen get shipped with the plug in the position for 0-10V DC. This is presumably the safest setting as other incorrect wiring connections won't 'damage' this. However, if you've got it set for, say, the mV ranges of a thermocouple, and connect a 0-10V source to it, look out for the SEDs (smoke-emitting diodes) coming on. I think all voltage signals use the same orientation so you could in theory leave the plug in place and then select for 0-10V, 0-5V, 2-10V, 1-5V etc. But you'd have to change it (the plug) for current signals.

In summary, you can't change the signal type across the whole range of possibilities without attending to this physical aspect. And for this you need to remove the module from the rack. Whether, as indicated earlier you can really use an SFC to re-parameterize the modules at runtime is something I'll leave to others.

Ken

Ken, which modules are you refering to here? I've only ever used the SM331 AIs and I've certainly never configured a plug on them (apart from the link between M- and Mana, that is). Everything was done in HW-Config.

Edit:
While digging through the manuals to try to get to the bottom of the SFC51 question I also found the 1998 version of the Interface Module manual and now I know what you're talking about! I don't know when the change took place, but over the last 4 years that I've been playing Step7, I've never had one of those in my hands.

Perhaps you should get a newer copy of the manuals Ken! :D

Last edited:
Ken M said:
However because all the circuitry for current, voltage, bipolar, unipolar, RTD, thermcouple, etc is already on board the one input card, how does the electricity know which way to go? The key here is a small plug which is inserted in the side of the module in one of four possible orientations. It connects or disconnects certain parts of the on-board circuitry according to the signal type. The software tells you which orientation to use for your chosen signal.

That seems to be correct for most AI modules. You choose which type of input you need and then the software tells you how to setup the tabs on the side of the module. I added a 6ES7 331 7PF01 (the module flukie refers to) into the rack in the software and looked at the properties but couldn't see anything that depicts setting the tabs on the module. From this sense it seems that you may be able to configure the software "on the fly" but i have never had any experience with these particular modules.

Jonny

RMA said:
Ken, which modules are you refering to here?
Crikey, I wish I knew!

First thing, I didn't read Flukie's question fully. He asked a question about a specific module, which I quite happily ignored. I then answered in general terms which cover several module types except the one he asked about. All clear?

Now you say you've never seen the ones with plugs, which worries me: I've only ever seen the ones with plugs! For example, the 6ES7 331 7KF02. In fact I've just looked at a Siemens manual on the interweb-thingy, and the English version still has German labels on the drawings for these little things: Messbereichsmodule. Perhaps my translation as 'plug' is just a little too prosaic, and confused you!

And finally, Flukie's module appears to be a dedicated RTD module which won't accept other signal types (4-20mA etc). Hence there's no need for the 'plugs' and so it doesn't have them.

What is it Terry says about not adding complexity beyond what is necessary? I've broken all his guidelines here. He and William of Occam would be turning in their graves if they were both dead.

Apologies for the confusion,

Ken

I'm back home now, so I'll have to wait until Monday to get the exact number of the SM331 which I'm using (and which I suspect I've also used in previous projects). However, with the 1998 manual open in front of me, I went and grabbed one of the spares and it's dead smooth on both sides - nowhere could you open anything up. In addition, ABTech mentions that when you configure one of these type analog modules in HW-Config, HW-Config then tells you how to set the plugs. Not with mine - set up HW-Config compile, download, fertig!

I'll post the module number on Monday.

RMA

The AI that you are using doesnt need configuring on the hardware side of it only on the software side. From the Step 7 Hardware config it shows that its only for voltage, current, resistance and thermal resistance(RTD). If you were using the 6ES7 331-1KB00-0AB0 then you would need to change the tabs on the side depending on what you are measuring and the scale of the measurement. For instance if you were measuring +/- 1v then you would leave the tab in the A position but if you wanted a +/- 10V input then you would place the tab into the B position. This is mainly because the unit gives you 34 idfferent input posibilities accross 9 different catagories. (Voltage, 4 Wire current transducer, 2 Wire current transducer, Resistor 4 conductor terminal, RTD, TC-I, TC-E, TC-IL or TC-EL)

Jonny

I'm evaluating 6ES7 331-1KF01-0AB0 for Pt100 input, but it seems as the range is from 0C to about 2100C (the decimal value for room temp / coffe temp are 300 / 800 of 27648).

Is the range adjustable? It's a waste of resolution...

flukie said:
I'm wondering if it is possible with Siemens S7-300 to reconfig the type of analog input online. I want to be able to let the user choose which kind of temperature sensor is being used by the Operator Panel. i.e. Ni120, PT100, ... Somebody who knows if that is possible ? Type of card being used is 6ES7 331 7PF01
I've been looking on the Siemens website but haven't found a hint so far..

Thx

So I read the question, read some replies and started looking. Found out a great deal about SFC55 now, things I never knew + found the complete explanation for the records to be used. Then I noticed the date on the original question.........
Good thing I learned something...:D

spaderkung said:
I'm evaluating 6ES7 331-1KF01-0AB0 for Pt100 input, but it seems as the range is from 0C to about 2100C (the decimal value for room temp / coffe temp are 300 / 800 of 27648).

Is the range adjustable? It's a waste of resolution...

For that card, the only ranges you can select are Pt100 and Ni100.
So no, it's not adjustable.
The setup as it is now is probably a waste of resolution.....