Step 7 Vs. Rslogix500 & CXProgrammer

They're about as different as driving a car and sailing a yacht. You use them both to get from point A to point B, but that's about it.

Ken

Ken,

I downloaded and installed a Lite version of S7. I see there are 3 different programming formats, one of them being ladder. It does not seem, at first glance, to be extremely different. Can you, or someone else, elaborate on the biggest differences? I'm sure S7 has its own little quirks. I would consider myself a moderate user of both RSlogix and CXProgrammer. I have a potential job with a customer who needs S7 programming.

TIA,
Don

S7 programming in Ladder is along the lines of both the AB and Omron ladders. Basic things are menu driven and with a bit of trial and error, you can get the hang of it. Your local distributor will probably be a better tech support than siemens.

My first time to deal with S7 the 3 programmers I dealt with all used every method BUT ladder. Two of them could sit and do code rapid fire and things worked. At the time I had done some C20 and few SLC's using APS programming. I was fortunate that they took the time and showed me how to manuver around the program. Step 7 is right powerful. But IMO it is not non programmer friendly.

donl517 said:
Can anyone give me some insight into the similarities or differences of Step 7 to the other programs?

TIA,
Don

One of the major differences I see between Step 7 and RsLogix5K, is that in Step 7 you cannot drag and drop contacts as you can in RsLogix5K. This becomes a real pain when stuff has to be moved around.

The Step 7 looks and feels as if it were ported from DOS or C/PM into the Windows environment, whereas, Rslogix5K is a true Windows application (which is not always necessarily a good thing).

Ian

If your going to use S7 for the first time, get to know the block library available and the special OB functions.

I've seen quite a few programs where the programmer wasted days creating special sub routines when they already existed in the library.

Apologies for the throwaway answer earlier.
Be aware: STEP7 Lite and STEP7 are not just different in function but in layout and appearance too. Lite isn't just 'full' with a few buttons greyed out. The menus are different and the visualisation of some issues is different. (Good old Siemens - who else who have a 'family' called S7 and three different programming packages for it!)

Lite can not be used used for any 'intelligent' modules like comms cards, high-speed counters, axis controllers etc. For all of these you need the full-blown STEP7. Nor does it support Profibus I/O connections - if your I/O isn't all in standard S7 racks, forget it.

The other problem with any comparison is you end-up accumulating the evidence on what the 'other' package can't do. No doubt STEP7 will have a lot of tricks up its sleeve that RSLogix can't do, but I don't suppose you'll get many responses emphasising the positive points of the systems.

As you can tell from my first post, I don't know enough to offer any really constructive info, so I'll back out here.

Ken