SAIA Programmed with S7?

SNK

I have read that the SAIA line of PCD2,4 and 5 can be programmed using S7. Has anyone had experience doing this?

I have become involved in a SAIA PCD2-PCD4 system and need to diagnose some faults. I have downloaded the SAIA PG5 software (trial for 90Days) but I have read about using S7 for the same purpose. The PG5 seems like a neat software to use. It is using graphical user interface, similar to Modicon Concept.

Does anyone have any insight?

Hello SNK.

First a disclaimer: I have zero experience with Saia.

This webpage says that the PCD1 and PCD2 models can be programmed with STEP7:
http://www.saia-burgess.com/2302/2303/2304/3412/3359/3363/3367.asp
It indirectly says that it's special versions of the two models.
For the other models it looks like only the PG5 software can be used for programming.

Thanks Jesper. I guess that I will have to get into the PG5 software.
It is really a challenge to understand all of the different software on the market today.
Every month, it seems that a new machine arrives with a new OS. Siemens/AB/SAIA/LG/OMRON/YASKAWA...the list goes on and on.
How does everyone else deal with this?
I think that I am at the end of "learning NEW" stuff. It seems like it isn't really worth it......
You end up getting more frustrated in the long run....

If I interpret your post correctly, then you are working at an "end-user", and this end-user receives machinery from sub-suppliers.
And you are working as a maintenance tech with the machinery.

I think that as an end-user, it must be a requirement that sufficient diagnostics be a part of the total package. In other words, you shouldnt be required to go online with a PLC in order to troubleshoot the workings of the machine. And of course the PLC and HMI programs shall so tested and debugged that you will not experience an internal error in the program.

But thats the ideal world. Granted, reality may be a bit different. Still, subsuppliers must strive to achive such a high level.

I am a subsupplier myself. We manufacture machines and plants.

JesperMP said:
I think that as an end-user, it must be a requirement that sufficient diagnostics be a part of the total package.
But thats the ideal world. Granted, reality may be a bit different. Still, subsuppliers must strive to achive such a high level.

You are correct Jesper. I am an End User.
We as technicians must be able to diagnose faults, rectify faults and repair faulty-coded equipment as required, at the bare minimum. I am required to code additional changes to equipment as needed on top of that.
We have in our possession multiple copies of most Automation software, HMI, PLC etc. We need the software to diagnose situations that the OEM has not accounted for in the "real-world".
In most cases, we find code that is "buggy" and report our findings back to the OEM. They in turn provide the necessary changes and in a more formal documentation package.
It costs our company 10-20Euro's every time we have to have a OEM in to help with any major issue.
This is why the new breed of factory Industrial Electricians are being bred.
We need the software in all respects to cover our own asses'.

Wow, I think someone's got his conversion rates askew!

You can get an OEM engineer on-site for 10-20 Euros!?!?! In the UK you could be looking at 10 times that per hour!

That was 10-20K Euros! The company ALWAYS wants personel on site for 5 business days, meals/first class flights over 6hours in duration. Now do you see where the 20K Euros' come in?
Oh yeah, and bring along a trainee.....he is only half price.

Damnit, these pesky 'K's! They always get in the way when I'm trying to do business too!

The S7 compatible and the standard SAIA controller have different operating system, so you have to use the corresponding programming software for the PLC's you have. Besides, the standard PCD1 and PCD2.M1xx don't have the MPI interface so there is a hardware difference also compared to the S7 compatible .xx7 versions. You can also see it on the cover, as the clone have S7 colours...

For the PCD3 family, the hardware should be the same, only different operating system, but you can't switch operating system without changing the PLC program since it require different programming tools.