OT - Toronto / Ontario places to visit

PeterW

As I'm landing in Canada on Wednesday, was wondering if any suggestions of sites to see, we're staying in Toronto for a week, was thinking Niagra (obvious one) and theres a Pumpfest weekend somewhere we thought we'd visit.

CN Tower and shopping for wife will take a couple of days, then maybe somewhere else to drive to.

Off to visit friends in Edmonton the second week, have to look for my warm clothes I think!!

Niagra is a must, i was in Toronto around 10 years ago and we drove over to Niagra. I also flew from New York to Niagra two years ago to see it again and it was around December time sad thing is that the tour company didnt tell me everything there was shut!

From Niagra you can cross the border to Buffalo (10 years ago we were advised not to as we may not have got back into Canada!) and somewhere round there was one of those cheap outlet malls (or 10 years ago there was!).

In Toronto we took a boat trip on Lake Ontario.

We also had a day and drove into the wilderness with a picnic, stopped in the middle of nowhere walked donw to a river bank and had lunch and a few beers. We went for half a day without seeing anyone!

I do remember the wind there was much like the wind in Tyneside! It doesnt go round you it cuts through you!!

Have a good trip and i am sure someone here will have more info than i can remember.

some Toronto sites:
Metro Zoo
Science Centre
CN Tower
Rogers Centre (Hockey, Football, Basketball)
Ontario Place ( Rides,Shows & entertaiment )
Royal Ontario Museum
Ontrario Art Gallery
McMicheal Collection ( Canadian Art )
The Hockey Hall of Fame
Toronto has many fine restuarnats and theatres
LLoyd

PeterW said:
As I'm landing in Canada on Wednesday, was wondering if any suggestions of sites to see, we're staying in Toronto for a week, was thinking Niagra (obvious one) and theres a Pumpfest weekend somewhere we thought we'd visit.

CN Tower and shopping for wife will take a couple of days, then maybe somewhere else to drive to.

Off to visit friends in Edmonton the second week, have to look for my warm clothes I think!!

This time of year outdoor things to do have wound down and people are preparing for winter. Our Thanksgiving weekend ( which was last week ) is usually the official end to summer, people close up their cottages and pull boats out of the water.

Octoberfest ends this weekend, that is held in Kitchener , which is about 1 hour west of Toronto.

If you go to Niagara Falls, stay on the Canadian side. View is better, hotels are better. May sure to visit Clifton Hill and go into one of the 'cheesy' wax museums or haunted houses.

While you are at the CN Tower, look at the SkyDome (now Rogers Center). Originally the retractable roof was controlled by Siemens S5-135u CPUs back in the late 80s early 90s. We knew the Siemens guy to had to be present for every sporting event in case the roof had issues while opening or closing.

Ian

Of course, Montreal and Quebec are just a few driving hours away... "There's no Canada like French Canada, it's the best Canada in town", if the authors of "South Park" to be beleived :)

Dont forget Ottawa is just down the road...mind you its getting a little late in the season for out door stuff..damn we just had snow this weekend and i hear london area got around 10cm or so..

Still if you want to see some scenery check out the parks in the ottawa area..Breath taking..

Good luck on the move..

BTW There aint much in edminton..

I like Herm's suggestions. Toronto (or GTA) has lots to offer so I would add steam train and falconry in Tottenham (less than an hour north of Toronto, near Alliston), Toronto island, little town called Niagara on the Lake, forts (York, Erie, Niagara on the lake...), Woodbine horse races, visiting wineris or breweries etc. Mediaeval Time, and more but some places will be closed (season of course). right now fun could be just driving to Mono or Belfontaine and enjoy autumn colors.
you will need to dress warmer. we just returned from trip to Europe only to see sharp temperature drop and some snowflakes. in Buffalo they had 60cm of snow (they are always kind and take most of the snow so we don't need to see it).

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've looked on the net and there seems endless places to go, too much choice sometimes blinds you, a little local help on whats happening now can be enormous help.

I lived in Montreal for about 9 months and only ventured out twice, once to Ottawa (over christmas and the wife skated on the canal) and once up into the mountains in summer. Montreal was a fantastic City, first time I was sorry for not speaking French.

My biggest regret at that time was the fact that the hockey players were on strike so couldn't get to see a game.

PeterW said:
first time I was sorry for not speaking French.

My biggest regret at that time was the fact that the hockey players were on strike so couldn't get to see a game.

My biggest regeret since leaving England was thinking that french would be useless..how wrong i was..

As for Hockey..Leafs suck!! Sens rule..(Unless we choke again this year then i am done with them!!)

If you are in town this winter look me up..i have season tickets so you and your wife can check out a game..

D

It's probably too late, but if you can, stay at the York. It's an old but very grand railroad hotel. There's a tunnel that connets the York to the train station, from there you could zoom to Niagra.

The York is also a short walk from just about anywhere including the Hockey Hall of Fame, & CN tower and a number of live theators. Also check out the Royal Ontairo Museum, a real must. Dinos and all.

For unique fine dining there's a restruant called Le' Butterfly (or Le' Papillon??), (also not far from the York). Have dinner there at least once.

darrenj said:
My biggest regeret since leaving England was thinking that french would be useless..how wrong i was..

As for Hockey..Leafs suck!! Sens rule..(Unless we choke again this year then i am done with them!!)

If you are in town this winter look me up..i have season tickets so you and your wife can check out a game..

D

Ohh Ohh thems fighting words. Or do I have to remind you that the Leafs have beaten Ottawa 6-0 at least three times, and if I recall correctly the Sens have not won a playoff series against the Leafs. Hee hee hee

Ian
1967 and still waiting

curlyandshemp said:
Ohh Ohh thems fighting words. Or do I have to remind you that the Leafs have beaten Ottawa 6-0 at least three times, and if I recall correctly the Sens have not won a playoff series against the Leafs. Hee hee hee

Ian
1967 and still waiting

You are correct on some points..however..at least we made the play offs..!!!!

D\

darrenj said:

D

Is it child abuse to give your kid a Leaf's Sweater ?

Ahhhhhh now I get it..