1771-ife

bwheat

I have a PLC 5/15 with a 8 slot 1771-A2B chassis and one slot open. The slot is right next to a slot mounted power supply. Will the IFE work in the slot next to the power supply?

bwheat said:
I have a PLC 5/15 with a 8 slot 1771-A2B chassis and one slot open. The slot is right next to a slot mounted power supply. Will the IFE work in the slot next to the power supply?

Yes, should be ok. I have a system PLC5/40 with bigger chassis
with analog module next to PS and it works just fine. If I had a choice I would not. Only issue may be noise. But no problems with my system.

Great. I thought I had read somewhere that I could not do that but I must have been dreaming.

as Mickey said, the power supply probably won't cause any problems ... and everything else will PROBABLY be ok too ... but if this is a critical (unsafe) system, it would be a good idea to tell us what addressing mode you're using (two-slot, one-slot, or half-slot mode) and what other modules you have installed in that chassis ... I don't have time to research the details right now, but there ARE some restrictions about what will - and will not - work ... mostly it's related to things like 32-bit discrete modules being used next to Block Transfer type modules (like your 1771-IFE module) ... if I remember correctly, in some addressing modes, the Block Transfer can "borrow" a byte from the input and output addresses assigned to a discrete module in an adjacent slot ... but then again, my memory ain't what it used to be ... if you can supply the details on your layout, I'll try to find time to check the references for you ...

Jumpers Question

Hi Folks,

While on this same subject, I am working with an old 1771 IFE A module. I have no documentation on this and am only able to find docs for the IFE C on AB's site. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but obviously the jumpers are configured differently. As is, I am able to read +/- 10 VDC with all jumpers set accross the pair next to the arm connector.

I am using it single ended with inputs 0-3 for +/-10V and 4-15 will need to be set for 4-20mA. Any hints would be very appreciated.

Jimmy

check here ...

and one other thing ... your inputs will actually be numbered "Channel 1" through "Channel 16" ... the "Channel 0" starting point is usually appropriate for an SLC system ... is that what you're more familiar with? ...

Last edited:
2 slot addressing. IFE will be located in the next to the last slot in chassis right next to the power supply. There are 16pt AC input and 8pt Relay output cards in the chasis. I think it will work. I was probably thinking about the card being next to a 32pt card. I have stepped in that one several years ago.

Jumpers Question Cont'c

Yes, input 1, etc... not 0.

My question is regarding the jumpers for the IFE A. How are they configured with respect to the input channels? I know the position I have them in works for voltage, but need to know what jumpers correspond to which inputs (there are more jumpers than channels).

Thanks,
Jimmy

nighthawkjw said:
Yes, input 1, etc... not 0.

My question is regarding the jumpers for the IFE A. How are they configured with respect to the input channels? I know the position I have them in works for voltage, but need to know what jumpers correspond to which inputs (there are more jumpers than channels).

Thanks,
Jimmy

Ron Beaufort said:
check here ...

and one other thing ... your inputs will actually be numbered "Channel 1" through "Channel 16" ... the "Channel 0" starting point is usually appropriate for an SLC system ... is that what you're more familiar with? ...

Click on the link Ron provided it is the user manual for the 1771-IFE/A
Or here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=26202

Last edited:
from the "silver platter" department ...

Greetings Jimmy ...

see if this does what you want ...
ife_jumpers.JPG

Last edited: