Prices

Not trying to be nasty or anything but this is an almost impossible question to answer. First you would need to explain the difference between stand-alone and modular. I am assuming by stand alone you are refering to "brick", unitary, or a micro-plc; stand alone is not a proper term to use if that is the case.

It is like asking what would be the price difference of any car having a CD or just AM/FM, 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine, power windows or not etc al.

Second you did not mention anything about the number of I/O involved....

LOL, hd, good call.

Last edited:
hd_coop said:
The range would be > $100
CLOSE!!
1761-l10bxb $99.00
image015.jpg

1761-L20AWA-5A $746.00
micrologic%201000.jpg

For a few dollars more you can get a 1100 that comes with a programming module of if you were willing to sell your children you can move up to ControlLogix.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to have focused on the cheapest PLCs. CalypsoChris asked about the range. So presumably he also wants to know the most expensive PLC. I would guess it has to be a multiply redundant something-or-other with a bucket load of high-precision analogues in distributed I/O clusters etc etc You could probably spend well over £150K for the hardware alone, never mind cabinets and panels.

So, it's your call, Chris. $69.00 or £150,000? (That's a range of about 4000:1) I'm sure there's a purpose behind this question?

Regards

Ken

You can get low cost PLC's like the DL05 for as low as $99 with 120VAC P/S and 24VDC I/O, for 8 DI and 6 DO. Such a PLC, once equipped with RS-485, Analog and other such bric-a-brac, may run into the $500 range. The Telemecanique Twido is one of the only truly low cost PLC's that I know of that comes in a modular format, though their compact 120V P/S version is price competitive with the DL05, and has native RS-485. With the introduction of the C-More Micro, you can get a low cost operator interface for the DL05 or other Modbus slave devices for $139 (non-touch), or $189 (touch). If you choose to go with the larger, more traditional modular PLC's, expect to pay anywhere from $250-$750 for a chassis, and extra for all options such as I/O, Ethernet, etc. These PLC's are definitely more robust, and may be the smarter choice, depending on your application. They are usually easier to configure (especially for serial communications), due to better software and support. On the other hand, you pay dearly for that software and support. Interestingly, the lower priced PLC's often have free software, but may have little support other than what if provided by the vendor. This is like how expensive hotels nickel and dime you for things like internet and parking, while chains such as Hampton Inn will give you those things free. Both have their place, even if it isn't obvious at first. Some of it may be customer perception (your customer), which should never be overlooked.

Alaric, that picture reminds me of a long time ago when I was golfing with this old man.
I asked him about his brand of clubs, and he looked at me and said.
"You ever go Fishing?"
I said "yes why?"
He then went on to tell me "fishing tackle is for the Fisherman, not for the fish".
I suppose that once you get past I/O requirements, the same thing apply's here.

Ok, so there are several things on this thread that I feel we need to discuss and open up

thp024, as I am sure you can see that your question well…was a little on the open side so all due respect (even If I don’t know you) you need to try and be a little less vague, and welcome to the forum (where the sarcastic programmers hangout)

hd_coop, very nice, short but to the point

Ron, always a very precise answer.

$, I agree…

Doug, very nice find…but I did not see any analog on that model, but again very nice find

Scott, the top pic is a little fuzzy…try less caffeine, the second one is much better

Ken, (my former S&M buddy) I understand everything but the part about CalypsoChris…who in the hell is Chris?

Alaric, the old hook line and sinker…did I swallow it?

Kittydog42, your name just gives you away…what does it give? I don’t know but Terry Woods’ has not been around much, so I figured I would ramble about something that does not really make to much sense but it make you think really hard about nothing…then end up back at the same spot where you started from…so does that make sense?

TW, it’s obvious that you have been working way to much lately, tell your boss that we said you need to take 5 brakes a day per Terry W and help on the site…

George, did you catch anything? :D

To sum it up, this thread went no place…but it was fun looking and reading the fishing stories :D

geniusintraining said:
Ken, (my former S&M buddy)
Don't forget about us consultants. I'm still looking for my payment for my studies
TW, it’s obvious that you have been working way to much lately, tell your boss that we said you need to take 5 brakes a day per Terry W and help on the site…
Yes, I'm really loosing it

So, how much is the top price for a current stand alone unit?
The most I've seen for a normal PLC is $1,200 Australian, for either a Hitachi or a Siemens S7-200.
A Pilz safety PLC stand alone can get up to $4,000.
Unless you are buying the last, high demand but obsolete brand new PLC, I don't know of any stand alone priced at more than that.

So, Ken, what brand were you thinking of that goes for a 150k pound price tag?

geniusintraining said:
Kittydog42, your name just gives you away…what does it give? I don’t know but Terry Woods’ has not been around much, so I figured I would ramble about something that does not really make to much sense but it make you think really hard about nothing…then end up back at the same spot where you started from…so does that make sense?

I don't get it. Job well done.