Point I/O 1734-232ASC Communication Problem

Money4Nothing

Ok, I had been working on this problem all summer, and I thought I had it solved, but it just popped up again...grrrr.

I have a 3rd party serial bus (http://www.usdigital.com) and I'm doing very simple polled communication through a 1734-232ASC module on ControlNet.

The 232ASC module was transposing some input bytes whenever communication would be broken and reestablished. I thought at first that it was because the module was just picking up the first bit that it saw when it started talking. But now, when the devices are powered down, and turned on again, the same thing is happening. This is not good. When I poll this serial bus, I receive 3 bytes back and I must have them in the right order. Reconfiguring the module doesn't even work most of the time.

Here is the communication protocol manual for the serial bus. Its really simple.

As a side note, I'm using the serial port of a 1769-L32C to communicate to the exact same bus, but using ASCII serial instructions instead of the automatic remote I/O mapping. (edit for clarification: this is for a different implementation of the system, independent of what I'm having problems with. And it works great...)

Here are some screenshots of the report summary that I originally made in case anyone wants to look into this a bit more deeply. I have talked to the Rockwell product manager for this device, and he hasn't been able to come up with any ideas. I'm hoping someone here has an epiphany and can give me something to chew on.

232ASC-1of4.JPG

232ASC-2of4.JPG

232ASC-3of4.JPG

(edit)-Ignore the last sentence in the next paragraph...I wrote that before this new mode of failure was discovered.
232ASC-4of4.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Btw sorry its so hard to read...I don't have any imaging software on this machine. :(
$

Last edited: