DeviceNet & 1770-KFD Serial coms problem

69FIREBIRD

Hi all, Firstly sorry this is so long winded, but at least you get a solid background. Can anyone help with a problem I have with a Device Net network and establishing serial comms via a 1770-KFD.

Approx 1 month ago I visited a site to work on a Device Net network, I connected the sites 1770-KFD using the RSLinx Device Net driver and a Null modem cable ( yes I know it's not 100% correct - the AB cable has the request and clear to send shorted out at each end of the cable) but it worked I was able to get the driver started and browse the network, I saved all the network PLC files for future ref. (approx 6 MLX1500 via NET DNI's).

Today I returned to the site and have not been able to establish comms again, following are some of the highlights of my day. (PS problem with site has been fixed sorted 1 on 1 with DF1) but I need to get this Device Net issue sorted.

• Cable set up and com port same as before (Aten USB -> Serial -> Null modem cable -> KFD -> DNet Network, No other serial drivers running, RSLinx Enterprise service stopped)
  • Device Net driver initializing but not showing up in "Configured Drivers".
  • Check com port and data rate, amended data rate (baud) until serial KFD's RS232 indicator flashed Green (correct baud rate)driver would still not show up in "Configured Drivers".
  • Disconnected and Reconnected Device Net cable connector from KFD cycle power to KFD (thought a power cycle on the KFD might put things right)
  • From this point I was not able to get the KFD's RS232 indicator to light at all when trying to configure the KFD driver in Linx ??? Tried Different comm ports, baud rates, DNet data rates, laptop reboots, but to no avail.
  • Set up second laptop with second KFD unit and separate Device Net network (test bench gear - SLC 5/03 with DNet scanner module in slot 1) This setup had the same problem the driver would go through the configure driver option but would not show up in the "Configured Drivers" section of "Configure Drivers" option, this exact set up had been working just days before although the VSD drives were not presently and only one EOL resistor was present (KFD internal) in hindsight this missing resistor might have been an issue with this set up. Same detail was noted with KFD RS232 serial indicator (flashed green with correct baud rate but would not show up in the "Configured Drivers"
  • Tried taking the second KFD and installing it in place of the site KFD unit and from that point the second KFD RS232 indicator would not light when attempting to Initialize the driver from the Add New driver option.
  • This prompted me to think that there was something seriously wrong with the DNet network itself and that was corrupting the KFD, but the other nodes on the network appear to be comming with each other, so I don’t think that is the case.
Other thoughts -

• Have recently changed setting on RSLinx CIP message settings one laptop to allow online edits on with MLX1100. (but not both laptops)
  • Have recently had RSLinx Enterprise / RSLinx set up to allow both to run via a single serial port at the same time. (but not both laptops)
  • Have both laptops updated via windows update service and these is an issue with a newly installed update.
  • Can the KFD units "lock up and need some sort of reset to get them going again.
I've had a look in the AB knowledge base and through these forums but have not found a similar case or fix. While i digest the info I have come across and try Rockwell Tech support can anyone HELP???

Has anyone had a similar situation or know of a fix ???

Thamks in advance.