Need help with Allen Bradley SLC500

tampc

Hi!
I new to the SLC500, I know not thing about Allen Bradley PLC.
But where I'm work we have the machine it has th SLC500 and first the tow of the out put is not working so we try to move that out to the working out put to try and it work (so the motor is good) then we rewire that back where it should be than the CPU fauls blink, we shut down all power for all night turn back on this moning and the run LED not come on and not thing work now, Please looking for some help.

Thanks

I am new to the SLC-500, and I know nothing about Allen Bradley PLC.

But where I work, we have a machine which has an SLC500.

First the tow(?) of the output is not working, so we tried to move that to the working output and it worked (so we conclude that the motor is good).

Then we rewired that back where it should be, then the CPU fault LED blinks.

We shut down all power overnight, and turned power back on this morning, and the run LED does not come on, and nothing works now.

Please, I am looking for some help.

Last edited:
I see that you're newly registered here at the Forum, so you likely had hoped that somebody would read your post and reply with "press button X to fix an SLC-500 fault".

SLC-500 controllers come in six different models, which affects how they are repaired and troubleshot. Without more information on the model of controller and model of output module, as well as some information on the load that the output module is driving, nobody will be able to give additional assistance.

Also, when a controller is faulted you generally have to use software to re-load or reset the program. Since you have not used SLC-500 controller before, I expect that you don't have that software. It is fairly expensive and requires some familiarity with the software and with the systems.

Call Rockwell Automation's office in Dallas and have them direct you either to their own field service department or to an "integrator" or other automation speciality company who can come perform this troubleshooting and repair for you.

Rockwell Automation
2304 Tarpley Road, Suite 100
Carrollton, TX 75006
(972) 417-5400

First thing is you need to find someone familiar with the RSLogix500 software and the SLC 500 system. Perhaps a call to the Rockwell office in Carrollton is in order. They can get a support technician out there to help solve the problem and get your equipment back up and running.

In the meantime, if the SLC 500 CPU has a keyswitch on the front, try toggling the key to the Program and then to the Run position. That may clear the fault, but depending on the fault, it may not. Be aware that this may restart your equipment immediately.

Not all SLC 500 units have a keyswitch though. So if your unit does not then you will need to get someone out there that is familiar with the SLC 500.

* edit * Ken beat me to it! Hey, I'm on vacation, I'm typing leisurely!

OG

A faulted cpu could be from many things. The program might have gotten corrupt (bad pid values), the card configuration could be different from before, there are a number of possibilities.
The best way to proceed... imho is to try; 1) cycle the 'key' on the slc through the different settings (this acts as a reset), 2) to connect with the processor and see if the program has changed.

If the program has changed 'download' the good program to the slc.

Electricity can do interesting things to logic.

Good luck!

Please s'cuse ar Aussie frien' frum down unda'. Eddie may not bay ware thet in Dallas ya'll speak Texan un English hisnot ya'lls netive language. 🍺

It really does sound like you will need to get some outside help so follow Ken's advice.

One other thing you can try is pulling and re-seating all the IO cards in the AB rack. Ive done this a handful of times, and a few times out of that handful it did indeed work. Longshot though.

Try Getting Online. Click On The Processor Status Tab. Then Select
The Errors Tab. Sometimes You Get Lucky And It Will Tell You
The Issue With A Major Fault That Causes A Shutdown. If This A
Programming Issue It Will Tell You The File# And Rung# To Look At
In The Registers On The Left Side At The Bottom Of The List.

Alaric said:
Please s'cuse ar Aussie frien' frum down unda'. Eddie may not bay ware thet in Dallas ya'll speak Texan un English hisnot ya'lls netive language. 🍺

Oi ! Check the flag ! ours has pizza and six stubbies on it....no wait make that a group of stars..🍻

consys said:
Oi ! Check the flag ! ours has pizza and six stubbies on it....no wait make that a group of stars..🍻

Dang! Those flags are similar, especially hard to tell apart when they are a little 31x15 graphic. But the Falkland Islands are still down on the bottom side. 🍺