Off-topic?

Hi,

Perhaps it's a littke bit off topic, sorry for that.

I'm looking for a multimeters (Volt, Amp's, Resistance eso) with a digital and a analoog reading.

Does anybody know were I can find this?

Rudi

When you say analog reading, do you mean a needle like the famous "Simpson" meters or do you mean, for instance, a 0-10V signal that is proportional to the measured quantity?

Or, do you mean a bar that goes across the bottom of the display that shows where the reading is within the range setting of the meter.
That said, if I was to need to buy a meter today, I'd probably get a Fluke 179 or an 87V.

Hi,

First of all thx for the reply but...

I looking for meters with an analog and a digital diplay just like the Chauvin Arnoux MC 573 or CA 5011.

Rudi

The bar graph on the Flukes seems diffucult to read/follow and is slow to update. It's a poor substitute for an analog readout.

I have my preferences for true movement analog meters.

Most of the newer style digital multimeters offer a bargraph analog display, the Fluke 27 http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/categorydmm and others have this feature, not sure the analog bargraph is any slower/faster than a D'Arsonval display though. The reason most want/need analog is to visualize the changes.

A scopemeter may be what you actually want; http://www.tek.com/products/oscilloscopes/ths700/index.html

There are a few digital/analog around:
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/7030f.htm

I assumed handheld but can show some benchtop if necessary.

Last edited:
Analog needle

I have never found a good replacement for an analog needle when adjusting coils/inductors for peak output. Anyothe time a digital readout is good for me, even the digital reading on a o-scope is nice.

Bud

Look at the Yokogawa 2343 04 hand held clamp on ampmeter/tester. Ot the latest version of it.

It does AC or DC volts, AC or DC 1000 amps, ohms and has a diode tester position.

We originally got these for the clamp on amp capability. The meter portions specs are equal to a Fluke 87 and we tested it to be that good. It is primarily digital but the analog scaling moves like a needle, not a bar graph. I have found it to be the best substitute for an actual analog needle. Then you get the amp probe capability too.

I guess you are looking for fast updates or a "flicker" to indicate that "there is something there".

If you are looking for fast updates, I have a high end TES digital meter from Taiwan that has fast updates. I use it for stting frequency on generators as the hz value moves quite fast on the counter. I would recommend you have a look at one and see if it will do the job. I love it and have repaired it several times now.

If you are looking for a "flicker", I am afraid needle meters are the only way to go unless you can affoprd a CRO. They are expensive and not all that portable of course.

Bob, what are you saying? Analog meters with D'Arsonval movements nor digital meters with bargraphs can compete with updates of a true digital RMS meter.

I used analog meters all the time in place of sychronizing lights with gensets because I could see what was happening i.e. the update did not happen faster then I could respond.

I posted a link to 2 multimeters with digital readouts and analog (D'Arsonval) needle movement, the cost were 29.95 and 39.95 USD, not expensive to me.

When younger, pre digital meter days, I used those $5 (sometimes free) analog units that electrical supply houses had on the counter. The main reason was because I would either use wrong setting, continuity when checking voltage, or drop it 20 foot or more.

Bob, what are you saying? Analog meters with D'Arsonval movements nor digital meters with bargraphs can compete with updates of a true digital RMS meter.

Hi Ron, just looking at price and performance for your $, I was saying analogue meters are great for flicker, and as you point out, synchronising generators etc. They are also generally pretty cheap so that when they get stolen, you do not lose much. You can also buy some very expensive ones.

I was just pointing out that if you look there are some very fast update digital meters out there. The TES I have, reads frequency very well to the point that one can see generator frequency moving around between 49.95 and 50.05 hz when adjusting generator speed. It is the only one that I have ever seen that can update this quickly. Once the pot is set where you want it lock it off and away you go.

I find bargraphs an absolute pain and would prefer to use a very fast update digital or an analogue.

Fluke make excellent equipment but the update is extremely slow with too many buffers I guess for my applications.

OH geez, the frequency meter is why I started working with the Fluke 87, yes it will show the minute (decimal) changes of Hz on a genset.