InTouch 9.5 and RSView32 7.10 in a Windows XP SP2 machine crashes the op sys

pgguy_007

Installing InTouch 9.5 and RSView32 7.10 in a Windows XP SP2 machine crashes the operating system. Same installation on Windows 2000 or Windows XP SP1 works OK. I have reinstalled windows xp twice because of the same problem. You can't copy/paste/cut, you can't drag items on the desktop, excel & word doesn't work, you can't uninstall stufff, you can't send emails on outlook, i'm sure there is more but this is what I have experienced so far.

Rockwell and Wonderware say that they know nothing about this problem.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Has anybody fond a workaround?

pgguy_007 said:
Installing InTouch 9.5 and RSView32 7.10 in a Windows XP SP2 machine crashes the operating system. Same installation on Windows 2000 or Windows XP SP1 works OK. I have reinstalled windows xp twice because of the same problem. You can't copy/paste/cut, you can't drag items on the desktop, excel & word doesn't work, you can't uninstall stufff, you can't send emails on outlook, i'm sure there is more but this is what I have experienced so far.

Rockwell and Wonderware say that they know nothing about this problem.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Has anybody fond a workaround?

You may have some other services running that combined with the Rockwell and Intouch stuff create a magic potion that makes your machine go boom.

Recall that movie with Lilly Tomlin from the '80s, The Incredible Shrinking Woman, where a combination of common household products all combined caused her to shrink.

You may need to review all services running in your PC and set them all as MANUAL START using the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.

If not, then use a utility such as HiJackThis to see what other services are running in your PC, and shutdown the ones you don't recognize. I regularily browse which services are running on my PC, and if I don't recognize I do a 'Google' to find out what they are.

Ian

I had this exact problem occur after installing Intouch on a pc with RSView. I tried booting to safe mode, etc. but to no avail. I ended up reformating and reinstalling Windows. Hope someone can help you.

I also had a buggy problem when I put intouch 9.5 over rsviews studio for ME 4.0. I then un installed RSLinx enterprise, FTAP and the reinstalled them in reverse order and they both play nice toghether in the sandbox now.

If you run into problems, you can write a batch file to kill the processes you don't need ala

net stop "rslinx Enterprise"
net stop "harmony"

etc etc.

I have several such batch files for INSQL, intouch rsview etc.

Good luck
Marc

from ISS Wonderware:

RE:
A²-Factory Suite; XP SP2 -:- After running the OS Config uration Utility, Windows is unusable (the Task bar is gone and various applications crash.)

Run Regedit from a command line:

Delete the following Registry Keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\DefaultAccessPermission
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\DefaultLaunchPermission

Then run the OS Conf Utility again:

The keys are created with the proper format once the OS Config Utility is reran.

Call or write if you have any issues with these steps.

Liberty Vance
ISS Wonderware Technical Support

I will try this and post results.

Last edited:
success

Well.......so far that seems to have done the trick!
Thanx to everyone for your help!

By the way...Rockwell doesnt acknowledge that there is an issue...of course.
Wonderware responded promptly enough.

By the way...Rockwell doesnt acknowledge that there is an issue...of course.
Wonderware responded promptly enough.

Gee, to me that kind of lets you know who the source of the problem is now doesn't it.

OG