Upgrades

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just read the the post about repairing parts and it was pointed out that in most cases an upgrade would correct the issue without getting obsolete parts repaired.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25936

A large part of my job is making just this decision. I am not an intergrator or a machine builder. My salary is paid by the compony I work for making and selling parts. So whether to upgrade or go down the get parts repaired road becomes complicated reather quickly. Below is my hit lists of factors I use when making this decision. if anybody has other ways to look at this or can elaborate I would really like to see what you think.

First question: Can I still get OEM parts and what has the markup gone to.
Second question: Will upgrade improve production. Will the increase in production cover the cost of the upgrade.
Third question: How much downtime will be incurred making the upgrade. We all know simply changing componets rarely works and some form of debugging is involved.
Forth question: Will training need to be done and to what degree.
Fifth question: How much time do I really have before upgrade is the only thing I can do.
sixth question: What is the time and material cost of the upgrade. Can I create a Capital Expence for this project.

As you can see these questions are general and get a lot more specific depending on the job.

Just a FYI... 2 things I see get overlooked the most

Training mainteance personal on the modified equipment and Spare parts for the modified equipment.

Editors Note> I apologize for the spelling, I have my dictionary here at home but left my reading glasses at work.

One other thing to consider is how much you have spent on repairs and unscheduled maintenance. So many times I have seen 20k spent per year to keep an old unit running and it was 8 to 10K to upgrade.

I allways upgrade when I can because most of the time new parts last longer than repaired parts. When you repair a part they just repair what is bad and not the next thing that can go bad.