Scanner Cards, BTR's & BTW's, RS232

Heterodoxy

New to all of this, but would like to reduce my cost by eliminating the scanner card if possible. I'm running a program from a 5/04 processor (1747-l542 C 7) that has a DH+ and RS232 Port and a 900 Series Panelview (2711-T9C1 C), which has a RIO and RS232 port. Curious if it's possible to perform data transfer by connecting the two devices through the RS232 Ports without the use of the scanner card? And if possible, how and what about the buffer file address for the BTR's & BTR's

No, The RS232 port on that particular model is for the printer only. You can either buy a differnt panelview i.e.T9C16 (DF1), T9C8 (DH+) or use the scanner card.

Alright, what about the second part - HOW!!! Lets say I get a PV with DH+ or a DF1(which I thought RS232 was anyway) port. Would the BTR & BTW instructions be used or some other.
Thanks for your time!
Heterodoxy

On most Panelviews the RS232 port is for downloading the configuration, and the other port is for PLC to O/I communications. I haven't done RIO - my distributor says it's a major pain - but again on most models the communciations link is either peer to peer (DH+, DH485) or the O/I is the master.

Heterodoxy said:
Alright, what about the second part - HOW!!! Lets say I get a PV with DH+ or a DF1(which I thought RS232 was anyway) port. Would the BTR & BTW instructions be used or some other.
Thanks for your time!
Heterodoxy

The Panelview will handle the communications if you go with a DH+ or DF1 model. Once you configure the port on the PLC, there should be no ladder logic required.

AK

Tom Jenkins said:
On most Panelviews the RS232 port is for downloading the configuration, and the other port is for PLC to O/I communications. I haven't done RIO - my distributor says it's a major pain - but again on most models the communciations link is either peer to peer (DH+, DH485) or the O/I is the master.

In my humble opinion: Remote I/O sucks rocks, where Panelview applications are concerned.

The reason is pretty simple, most operator interface applications require lots of data transfer. To transfer more than a few bytes via Remote I/O, you've got to use block transfers (or you have to be creative with your Panelview screens). This, of course, requires extra ladder logic and adds to development/troubleshooting time. If there is a problem with your data transfer, Remote I/O can be more difficult (at times) to troubleshoot than RS232 or DH+.

Remote I/O IS good for adding on extra I/O (go figure). I've had much success with adding groups of Flex I/O to a SLC with scanner cards. We also use Remote I/O to communicate to our robots, which come from ABB.

AK