Residual current protective devices

nonuke

I would like an opinion from pannel builders if you use or not Residual current protective devices in your control pannels.
Thanks

If I need a general purpose outlet (GPO) for powering a laptop while programming then I will protect it with an RCD. Otherwise, I can't think of anything specific that callls for them in an industrial control panel.

Nfpa 79

Sections 15.1.1 (1) and 15.1.2 of NFPA 79 (Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery) both require GFCI receptacles.

This is from the 2007 edition just received a few weeks ago. It is also in the 2002 edition, sections 16.1.1 (1) and 16.1.2.

Residual current protective devices?????

I felt it necessary to update this thread. Perhaps someone will find my information useful. It is especially relevant to those people who do not understand what an RCD (residual current device) is and how it works.

I recommend that you read the article https://www.asutpp.com/residual-current-device-rcd.html

A residual current device (RCD) is a mechanical switching device or association of devices designed to make, carry and break currents under normal service conditions and to cause the opening of the contacts when the residual current attains a given value under specified conditions [this term is defined in the IEC 62873-2-2016].

If I need a general purpose outlet (GPO) for powering a laptop while programming then I will protect it with an RCD. Otherwise, I can't think of anything specific that callls for them in an industrial control panel.

+1

And I rate them at 2A B so no one can plug power tools in.

I use RCDs and RCBOs in every control panel I build. It is mandatory in Australia to protect all power and lighting circuits with an RCBO.
Motor circuits generally not so but I build a lot of panels for commercial swimming pools and everything has to have an RCD or RCBO. People in water.
The only exception is a device that does not contact the water. All VSDs for example have to have an RCD in front of them. Pumps.
The VSDs I use run quite happily on a 30ma type AC RCD - made here in Sydney to my specifications.
Type B RCDs are made to allow VSDs to run on them without tripping. Not so - for example ABB VSDs have to have the filtering disabled or they will trip a type B RCD - and believe me they are expensive!!!
The VSDs I use will operate quite happily on a type AC 30ma RCD - special filters.
The latest rules in Australia preclude the use of type AC RCDs after April 1st I think it is. Type A will be the minimum allowed to be used.

I am with BobB, unless you have a really good reason not to fit Earth Leakage Protection, why wouldn't you. They can save lives, reduce fire risk and reduce fault currents for Line to Earth failures. Space constraints may have been a problem in the past, but now there a 3 Phase RCBOs available. Not in quite such agreement with RCD types for use with VSDs, the ABB manual allows for Type A with single phase drives, but type B for three phase drives, and the Filters can stay connected. And 'yes' B type RCDs are expensive to 'bl**dy expensive', but as use increases, prices will fall.

BryanG believe me as soon as power was turned on to the ABB (HVAC type) drives the type B RCD tripped - instantaneous. I have locally made Zener drives running on 30ma type AC up to 75kW.

I also use ABB drives. I had a friend that used to work for them, he was bigger than me and he strongly suggested I use them, no pressure :). The drives I am protecting only go up to about 2.2kW, and type B does work there. ABB drives have Earth Fault detection built in, see Fault 0016, I don't know if that would allow for a different type of RCD, but maybe worth investigating.

I did find an article by a RCD expert who suggested that type A was acceptable for 3 phase VSDs, but it is on the desktop of my old laptop. Otherwise this from Schneider Electric is useful:
https://www.se.com/ww/en/download/document/ECT204/
And for the Aussie audience, an article on stopping VSDs from tripping the RCD, short and to the point, was it written by you BobB :):):ROFLMAO:
https://controllogic.com.au/media/m...loads/2016/11/TechTip-VariableSpeedDrives.pdf

Be careful using type A RCD before VSD and equipment that leak DC currents. The DC currents over 6mA can satuate the device causing it to fail to trip on the specified currents.

BtyanG - not written by me - those people are the ABB Drives distributor LOL.
Smallest drive I normally have on an RCD is 5.5kW and often up to 30kW. DOL for all the small ones - depends on the specification.