Learning analog inputs with RSLogix 500 with 1746-FIO4V card

Guido

I've got a slc 5/03 and the 1746-FIO4V card= 2 Input (V or mA) and 2 output (0-10 vdc) and am setting up an analog output in RSLogix.

If so, I have to set up some special input, and don't know which commands to use in RSLogix.

I saw a reference pointing to BTR and BTW instructions, but they're grayed out on my palette in RSLogix.

Thanks for any help,

Guido

Guido said:
I've got a slc 5/03 and the 1746-FIO4V card= 2 Input (V or mA) and 2 output (0-10 vdc) and am setting up an analog output in RSLogix.

If so, I have to set up some special input, and don't know which commands to use in RSLogix.

I saw a reference pointing to BTR and BTW instructions, but they're grayed out on my palette in RSLogix.

Thanks for any help,

Guido

Are you using the (free)starter edition of RSLogix 500? If you are, I believe that the block transfer instructions are not included with the software.

You may need a different version of the software.

Rick

The Card Must Be Added To The I/o Configuration Table
While In Program Mode. The Analog Module Will Require Using Mo Or Mi Files
You Can Read Up On These In The Help Section Of Rslogix. Also
Once The Cards Are In The Configuration They Must Be Inserted Or The
Processor Will Fault.

not all SLC processors support the BTW/BTR instructions ... check your OS (Operating System) ...

btw_usage.JPG

and are you sure that you really NEED the Block Transfers at all? ... please tell us exactly how your system is configured ...

big deal: is the module located in the local chassis (with the processor) or is it installed in a remote chassis? ...

the more we know, the more we can help ...

Do you need to use the BTR and BTW instructions? If not, you could use the MOV instruction to write a value to your analog output. The destination would be the analog output address; for example O:2.0 if your card were in slot 2. I suppose you could do the same thing if you want to read the analog input, except the source would be I:1.0 if your card were in slot 1.

Here is a link to the SLC 500 Analog I/O Modules User manual (Publication 1746-UM005B-EN-P). I know it does not list the FIO4V card, but Chapter 6 has plenty of programming examples that should help.

Guido said:

Thanks for any help,

Guido

If the card is placed in the same chassis as the processor,
then you don't need BTR/BTW or M files. The data will show up in the input and out words corresponding to the slot the card was placed in.

SLC5/03 needs OS302 to support BTR/BTW instructions
What "OS" do you have.

Ron beat me to it.
I need to type faster.

Thanks for the rapid response. I read some of the programming examples and I'm getting it. 10 to -10v corresponds to + and -32768 that the processor can handle.