Question about rslogix instructions

bryan372002

Direct logic has an instruction called sum instruction which does the following:
SUM - Sum Box
The Sum instruction counts number of bits that are set to "1" in the accumulator. The HEX result resides in the accumulator.

does rslogix have an instruction that will do the same and if so what is it called

Thanks guys

from the "anti-frustration" department ...

does rslogix have an instruction that will do the same and if so what is it called

you didn't tell us WHICH "RSLogix" you're using ... if it's RSLogix5 (for the PLC-5 platform) then the "indirect address" method in that link that my distinguished colleague Mickey provided won't work for you ... UNLESS ... you might try using "B"-type (binary) data locations - instead of the "N"-type (integer) locations which are shown in that linked example ...

secret handshakes:

RSLogix5 (PLC-5) does NOT allow indirect addressing at the "bit" level for integer (N-type) data locations ... but it DOES allow indirect addressing at the "bit" level for binary (B-type) data locations ...

RSLogix500 (SLC platform) DOES allow indirect addressing at the "bit" level for both integer (N-type) and binary (B-type) data locations ...

bit_ind_500.JPG

bit_ind_5.JPG

then the program in Mickey's link should work for you without too much trouble ... specifically, you CAN use indirect addressing for "N"-type (integer) locations at the "bit" level with RSLogix500 (software) ... but note that some smaller processors (hardware) don't allow indirect addressing at all ...

so ... did you look at that solution that Mickey linked? ... do you understand it? ... did you try it? ... does it work for your application? ...