Help!!

most likely, if you don't know that, then you won't be able to answer the question.

But just in case...

The one and only port on a ML 1000 can be switched from DF1 to User(ASCII) mode. Unfortunaly, if you change it you apparently can't change it back. Since you can't get into programming mode to change it.

pabeader said:
most likely, if you don't know that, then you won't be able to answer the question.

But just in case...

The one and only port on a ML 1000 can be switched from DF1 to User(ASCII) mode. Unfortunaly, if you change it you apparently can't change it back. Since you can't get into programming mode to change it.

I guess micologix 1000 won't support ascii communication Ascii communication is from Micrologix 1100,1200 & 1500 so on !!!!!!!!!
If are using ml1200 & 1500 use default comm button near comm port of 1200 & near eeprom of 1500 to default DF1 communication

rPraveenkum is right; MicroLogix 1000 controllers do not have any ASCII port functions or instructions. Those are available only on the MicroLogix 1100, 1200, and 1500 controllers, and that's one of the reasons those controllers have a communication default button.

The MicroLogix 1000 default communication mode is DF1 Full Duplex, but it can also be set for DH485 or DF1 Half Duplex Slave.

Attaching the controller to an active DH485 network can get it to autoswitch into DH485 mode so you can go online.

You can't autoswitch from a very slow (below 4800 baud) DF1 Half Duplex data rate to DH485. Found that out working with leased-line modems at 1200 baud with the early half-duplex units.

You can also manually set up a DF1 Half Duplex Polling Master driver if you've inadvertently set up the controller for DF1 Half Duplex mode and you know the parameters you used.

There's also a last-ditch effort that can manually default the AC-powered, DC-Input models by shorting the auxiliary power terminals. There's a chance of damaging the internal power supply in that case, so I always try to get the communications working by brute force testing of all possible settings.

OOPS!

I hate to admit this but...

I KNOW that it is possible to get this PLC into user (ASCII) mode because I'm the one what did it.
Someone mentioned shorting pins??? That sounds like the type of solution I need.

Please expand on this or other ideas

Thanks

Then you don't have a ML1000. Reread Ken's post. What ML do you have

Post your RSS file.

Last edited:
Note: I am at home right now but I think this is how it went.

If you go online with the processor and click on communication configuration.

Then go to the CH0 tab and click on the drop-down list that lets you pick the different protocols. You will see a number of options. There is even a 'shutdown' option. Well if you pick 'ASCII' then apply you will get a dialog box that says:
"Communication will be lost..."

Yep, it sure was!

After a few choice words I tried a great number of things, then asked my question here.

Last edited:
With the 1000 if you select communication Configuration you get this window:
ab1000comm.jpg

With certain 1200 and the 1500 you will get a window like this:
ab1200ascii.jpg

As mentioned if you have the Channel 0 option then you have something higher than a 1000 and probably have the switch that can toggle between user and default mode.

Quote rsdoran: As mentioned if you have the Channel 0 option then you have something higher than a 1000 and probably have the switch that can toggle between user and default mode.end quote

It is actually a button on the front of the controller maybe behind a door. Labled comms, just push for a couple of seconds for defualt comm
settings.

Last edited:
(blush)
Well... um... It seems that I may have gotten too many PLC screens stuffed in my brain, on way to little sleep!!

The things I know for sure are:
1) It's a ML 1000, even says it on the front, that is the only ML that we had until yesterday. We now have a ML 1200 too.
2) When I chose a different protocol it warned me and I clicked ok anyway.
3) I can't connect to it now with any protocol I have available.
4) I apparently didn't do what I think I did and now don't know how to correct it.

I will try the PIC/AIC driver when I get back to work. Otherwise it jumper and shorting time.

Thanks for all your patience and perserverance with me.

Last edited: