ML 1200 switch between DF1 / ASCII?

pabeader

Is there a way in program logic to swap between DF1 and ASCII? I have no use for the trim pots so had tried to use them to mask in a bit in S2:33/3 but it won't let me.

hhmmm

Explain in detail what you want to do. The ML1200 does offer the option of 2 ports but I assume the model you have only has one; so need to determine a method for your application.

NOTE: The ML1200 should offer the toggle switch to switch from user mode to default for programming.

I am still in development mode and need to switch between programming and data collection. The camera I am using outputs serial ASCII characters and until the MUXIPort comes I would like to play with this. But I would really like to be able to switch mode in some progammed manner. If not I can always press the comm default button that is right under the trim pots.

If you have a single port mL1200 then using the toggle switch is the only option between user and programmng mode.

you mean the MicroLogix 1200R? Can that be connected like this...

MLR through CH0 to NET-ENI to ETHERNET
through CH1 to ASCII device

If so then it would be the thing I'm looking for.

Confusing me. If you have a 2 port ML1200 then you can have user mode on 1 and program with the other...the how just depends.

NOTE: ASCII and data collection on the same port is not possible that I know, 2 different protocols and do not know a method of switching except manually i.e. not in the ladder program.

Explain what you are doing and an alternative method may be suggested...hmmm asked this before.

Last edited:
ah, but there;'s the rub. once it's all set up it will be part of a larger network that is monitored all the time by the thenhicians of the different areas. so I will need to have both things available.

Eddie Willers said:
You have to unplug the controller from the camera and plug it into the PC, don't you ? How hard is it to take a toothpick and push the button ?

The toothpick might be a little soggy after long programming sessions. So be careful.

Lost me. Get a ML1100 and connect it to ENET, use readers that work with AB CIP ENET to MSG to the ML1100, problem solved.

I have not dealt with an 1100 so do not know details but if it has a second port then it could be used for ASCII and ENET for programming and monitoring.

You should learn to obtain the components necessary for the application, instead of taking whatever then attempting to match it to an application?

sorry in real world you work with what they give you. if I had my way this would have been done months ago. so...

it really isn't that hard to figure out just want to make sure that if I can get a few bucks out of these people, I get what I can use.

pabeader said:
sorry in real world you work with what they give you. if I had my way this would have been done months ago. so...

it really isn't that hard to figure out just want to make sure that if I can get a few bucks out of these people, I get what I can use.

figure it out if so simple, nothing more from me.

Thanks guys.

All I really wanted was an answer to my op. If the answer is no, that's okay. Just wonder why that's so hard to do for us techy type people.

Last edited: