Can't Communicate with 5/04

Automate

Hi, I've just purchased a 5/04 from ebay and the previous guy swears that it was working (to believe or not believe... who knows!) Anyway I'm having difficulty trying to communicate with it.
On power up it lights up all LEDS momentarily then the fault light goes on steady and also the DH+. I've tried the following:
  1. Unpluged battery and shorted capacitor for about 1 minute and made NO difference
  2. RSlynx can not find it in auto config and using the DF1 driver.
  3. I have tested above with a 5/03 that I have (Brand New) and this works on it ok. which would indicate that cabling is not the issue
I've asked the seller how he was setup and has indicated to me that he doesn't recall the settings but it was working!

If anyone could come up with any other things I could try it would be appreciated

DETAILS 1747-L543 / SER.B / PROC REV 3 / OS 1747-OS401 SER A FRN 5

Last edited:
If you are not worried whats in the memory, then the first thing to do is to perform a factory reset.

The com port could be set to dh485 which is why df1 wont autoconfigure.

See this RA Tech Note

IMPORTANT: Once Factory Defaults have been restored the ladder logic program will be lost and all communications channels will be reset to their default state : See Below

CH1 - DH+ ( 57.6 Kbaud ) CH0 - DF1 Full Duplex 1200 Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC
DH485 ( 19.2 Kbaud ) SLC5/05 CH0 - DF1 Full Duplex 19.2 KBaud, N, 8, 1, CRC

Note: SLC 5/03 OS302 FRN 11 , SLC 5/04 OS401 FRN 8 or greater Channel 0 Defaults to 19.2KBaud

just get your money back and look for another one.

What are the odds that DH485 abd DH+ will be used?

Last edited:
The combination of FLT is ON and DH+ is ON intermittently is normal for a factory reset SLC5/04.
FLT is ON because memory is cleared.
DH+ flashes because it tries to "see" if other DH+ nodes respond on the network.

If DF1 autoconfigure doesnt seem to work, then try to manually set to
Full Duplex 1200 Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC.

You can also try with DH+ if you have the comms hardware.

JesperMP said:
See the initial post:

edit: For once it is nice to see someone posting the exact specs in the initial post.

You must have had your glasses on Jesper, i missed that!

Thanks guys sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner but had to go to a meeting! I'll try the settings "Full Duplex 1200 Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC" first thing in the morning as the unit is at work. Hopefully I can get into it as I have definately reset it this afternoon as per instructions above and I was getting the same results. I'll re-post results in the morning

If the processor were simply "defaulted", the Fault LED would be blinking, not steady. If the Fault LED is steady, that is typically not good. About 10% of the time you can recover from this by defaulting the unit (which I believe you already tried). The other 90% of the time, the processor has to be replaced. Sorry, but it appear that you may have purchased a lemon.

I've tried the RS232 port(Null Modem Cable) and also the Programming terminal (1761-CBL-PM02 Cable)

this isn't your answer - just something to keep your eye on ... the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable SHOULDN'T fit into the front of an SLC-5/04 processor ... that cable (assuming that you've given us the correct part number) is for things like the MicroLogix processors ... the little round port on an SLC-5/04 is for DH+ (Data Highway Plus) - and takes a special ("special" as in "EXPENSIVE") cable ...

secret handshake: the shells of the two connectors are different shapes - and the pins are in different patterns ...

just in case you forced (or "coaxed" if you prefer) the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable into the SLC-5/04, I'd suggest that you take a good look at those tiny little pins ... you might be in the market for a new cable too ... note: you would NOT be the first to have made this mistake ...

good luck ... (and I hope I'm wrong on this one) ...

Some of the earlier SLC 5/03 5/04's had a very touchy serial port.
I have managed to kill the RS-232 port on two units by plugging and unplugging under power. I had to have it repaired. This doesn't seem to be the case on the current units. However I always de-power the processor before I do anything on the RS-232 port.
If this is what happened to your unit you are pretty much screwed, the repair cost will pretty much eat up all the savings you gained by buying on Ebay. You could just use the DH+ only.