Can we put a few 1746-HSRV in RIO network?

flyers

Hi guys,

My system design is to have about 4 servo module (1746-HSRV). These modules will be located about 100m from the CPU using a RIO network.

As I've no experience in servo module over RIO network, my concern is:

1) Is the RIO network (56.7kbps) fast enough to feedback all the data required to the CPU for control & monitor purpose?

2) The 1746-HSRV can work with other brand of servo, not necessary must be AB?

3) The 1746-HSRV has a built in encoder for the servo module, I do not need 1746-HSCE?

Hope someone came across this application can highlight me. Thank you in advance.

You must put a SLC CPU in the same rack with all 4 of the servo modules. That means all must reside in the same rack, or you must have multiple SLC processors if the servo modules must be spread out. If all the servo modules are in one rack, you can put the SN in that rack too, and make the other racks remotes with just ASB modules.

Just be sure to read all the fine print with this setup. There may be other things that must be sacrificed to use 4 specialty modules with a SLC as you have planned. Check power supply loading, and read the manual carefully to find out all the caveats.

If the servo modules need to be distant from each other, you will need a CPU with each of them, and coordinating motion between them will be tricky if it's possible at all.

Good Luck!
Paul

Last edited:
OkiePC said:
You must put a SLC CPU in the same rack with all 4 of the servo modules. That means all must reside in the same rack, or you must have multiple SLC processors if the servo modules must be spread out. If all the servo modules are in one rack, you can put the SN in that rack too, and make the other racks remotes with just ASB modules.

Just be sure to read all the fine print with this setup. There may be other things that must be sacrificed to use 4 specialty modules with a SLC as you have planned. Check power supply loading, and read the manual carefully to find out all the caveats.

If the servo modules need to be distant from each other, you will need a CPU with each of them, and coordinating motion between them will be tricky if it's possible at all.

Good Luck!
Paul

Paul,

Thank you for your info, but putting 4 CPU in the rack with distributed (conveyor line) servo motor is not cost effective.

I've other idea for such limitation in AB RIO network, which we use 3rd party servo motor + controller which has Analog IO. On the AB SLC side I only need to ready the Analog IO (using RIO network) to control the servo.

Note: Analog in at SLC module = speed from servo controller
Analog out at SLC module = speed setpoint servo ctrl

Do you think this is a better & cheaper solution for servo control in the network?

More info please

I can't say if it's better when I don't know your goals. Why are you using servos? If you don't need electronic gearing/camming between the modules then you can do it with standalone drives and analog control. If you need the servos only for rapid duty cycle, length measurement, precise speed control, or indexing then you can set them up to stand alone. I really can't advise you without more information about the machine operation.

If you just need indexing, or a few different speeds, then don't even waste your money on analog control.

Tell us more about the machine, please.

Paul