PLC Languages

Andre205th

I'm new to all of this but I was wondering besides ladder logic, what language is most often used to program plcs. I'm learning PBASIC on my own time, should I? I some languages are more difficult than other what should I learn.

I'm a college student in Industrial Technology. I have no programming experience.

You may want to consider at least learning VB. There is more to PLC programming than programming the PLC. Sooner or later you are going to need to interact with a PLC and that is where HMI software comes in. Many HMI packages use VB for scripting. I recommend you learn C as well and get a good intro to computer programing in general - it will help you to learn top down design principles and avoid some of the bad habits that ladder programmers are vulnerable to fall into.

The IEC61131 standard includes the following PLC languages
Ladder (graphical)
Function block (graphical)
Instruction List (text)
Structure Text (text)
Sequential Function Chart (not necessarily a language in some PLCs but a program organization tool)

Not all PLCs use all of these languages and the language elements vary by manufacturer.

Last edited:
If we are talking ONLY about PLC languages then I would rate them basing on my 5 years experience as following (by usage):1. Ladder Diagram - 80%
2. Function Blocks - 10%
3. Structured Text - 8%
4-5. Instructin List - 1%
4-5. Sequental Function - 1%

In Europe and I suspect with Siemens users in general, you'll probably find the first three places reversed, with STL - Statement List (not sure if that was what n lev really meant) running at about 50%.