Devicenet

bakerboy_99ca

Hi Guys,

Starting my first devicenet project and i need a little help.
have rsnetworxs
rslinx 2.43
1784-pcd
1784-pcabl

i have installed all the drivers that came with everything.
i have my rack w/slc5/04 and devicenet scanner powered up on the floor in front of me.

i am trying to establish communcation with the scanner card through rsnetworx, but i do not know the driver configuations in rslinx.
I have tried a couple, no luck, i do not even know if it is shown on my list?...cannot find anything in the manuals about it.

The best thing you can do besides attend a DeviceNet training class or seminar is to read the Tutorial that comes with RSNetworx for DeviceNet. You'll find it in the Start menu group for RSNetworx.

Out of the box, all DeviceNet devices default to Node 63, 125 kb/s data rate. This includes the 1747-SDN.

So, you should set up your DeviceNet driver in RSLinx for 125 kb/s and set the 1784-PCD for any node except 63.

DNet_Driver_Setup.GIF

You also need 24 VDC power on the DeviceNet red and black wires, and you will need terminating resistors on the ends of the network.

What is being indicated on the display on the front of the 1747-SDN ?

Last edited:
Thanks Ken,

I figured out a bit of it. I am running Rslinx Gateway 2.43
The more i read all the documentation that came with everything the more i saw rslinx classic mentioned. I put the rsnetworx cd back in, shutdown rslinx gateway and tried installing rslinx classic.
instead of doing a complete install it just prompted me to select the eds files that i wanted that were not already loaded on my computer, included were all the devicenet stuff.

i selected all them and it installed what i needed.
now in rslinx i have the selection of devicenet drivers which i was missing before. got the 1794-pcd driver running and did a quick test. it worked but i got an error stating no devicenet power.

like you mentioned in your post.

my network is going to be very small. 2 abb irc 5 robots and a rack of flex i/o 128 inputs and 32 ouputs. as far as a power supply do i need a special one just for the network or can i just tie into the power supply i am using for everything else?

as far as the seminar...good luck.

i had to beg just to get this technology in here.
upper management almost had a heart attack when i summitted
p.o's for the software, 1784-pcd, 1784-pcabl, scanner card and all the flex i/o.

our local location of westburne ruddy is hosting a seminar next week that i will be attending, not specifically on devicenet but they will have devicenet there so i can ask questions.

just like everything else i will have to learn it on my own will a little help from all the guys on plcs.net i hope!!!

At the very least, download and read the DeviceNet Media Guide:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/dnet-um072_-en-p.pdf

There's a checklist at the end of Chapter 1 that lists the major things; network power, network data rate, terminating resistors, etc.

It's not a hard technology to deal with, but you can't expect to go in not knowing Commandments 1 through 5 and expect it to work right.

Do NOT use the same power supply for the DeviceNet as for everything else. The network needs it's own properly sized and selected power supply (that's Commandment 2).

Another little suggestion, go to www.odva.org the Devicenet site and get more information then you will probably ever want. At that site on left is menu, click Devicenet, I suggest you look at the Planning and Installation manual but do not stop there.

All components are suppose to be certified for DNET. I ran into a situation where an engineer decided to use his regular in stock 24vdc power supplies and we had problems that affected some comm modules on the VFDs, the drive guy noticed it and would not replace the cards under warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

I did get a little network working here in the office.
Just a quick job to see if i could get it going.
Does not seem really difficult at all.
Just have to make sure everything is set up properly.
It is alot like RIO which i am used too, instead of dip switch
settings devicenet uses rsnetworx to configure everything.
the 32 word i/o image table is very similar which i will be using,
and i will try to stay away from the m files, had a taste of that when i had to communicate RIO with a panelview by block transfer.

also addressing m files in ladder logic creates alot of scan time
and you cannot see the true state of the address unless you branch with a plc based memory location.

i am looking forward to this project, next on the list is too find out how the abb irc 5 robot is identified on the network.
so i can start a good scan list.

thanks again for your help, this place is one of the best tools
you can ever hope for.

mark

RSLinx classic is the name given the the older version of Linx as distinct from the newer version called RSLinx Enterprise. (I think even Rockwell wished they called Linx Enterprise by another name) They are 2 totally different programs.
Now RSLinx Gateway is a version of RSLinx classic. It is the same program as RSLinx lite, OEM, single node and professional. The licensing that you have just unlocks more features with the gateway version.
Regards Alan Case

devicenet driver 1770kfd

I'm trying to install the 1770-kfd driver on my laptop (rsnetworx 7.00 /rslinx 2.52 running on XP virtual machine via windows7) ... I select the 1770kfd, it then displays a box saying "initialising the selected driver interface" alng with a flashing green tick symbol, but then nothing appears in the 'configured drivers' list. I can't communicate with the 1770kfd.

Any ideas?

DNet_Driver_Setup.GIF

quote]

cheers

OS on my laptop is windows 7, however, the devicenet drivers don't show up at all on windows 7 (presumably something to do with 64bit??) anyway, so I'm running rsnetworx for devicenet and RSLinx on this windows 7 laptop but via microsofts "Virtual XP' application.
cheers

RSLinx 2.52 is sort of old. Won't run natively on Win 7 and certainly won't run on the 64 bit version. Also XP mode is Windows XP SP3 (I think). This version doesn't mention SP3. SP3 has been known to cause issues with Rockwell software not specifically written for SP3.

Ideally, this would go in a new thread; this thread, like your software, is many years obsolete. Some of the original participants are dead. Not me, but still.

I very strongly recommend updating at least RSLinx Classic to a modern version. RSNetworx is up to v10 and RSLinx Classic to v2.59.

I don't even attempt to use the "XP Mode" virtual machine; I use VMWare and won't look back.

How is the serial port connected to the virtual machine; is it as a Windows COM port, or via USB, or something else ?

The DeviceNet 1770-KFD driver could be tricky, even back in Windows XP SP2.

Are you using the proper RS-232 cable for the 1770-KFD ? Is the RS-232 LED on the device flickering at all (green or red) ?

Remember that the 1770-KFD needs to be connected to a valid DeviceNet to initialize the driver. If you don't have at least one other device connected, at the KFD's data rate, the KFD will fail the "Duplicate Node Check" and won't initialize the driver.

Hi guys,

I know I should have posted new thread:oops: but I tried to find an answer on an existing thread (good practice) and came across your lovely image, Ken, so decided to hijack it (y)

The rs232 is the original AB cable supplied with the KDF - it all works on a desktop machine running XPpro sp3 (networx ver 6.00 with RSlinx 2.52) I'm just being greedy and want to view devicenet on my laptop as well.

back to the laptop though ... I have the kdf directly connected to the laptops serial I/O port (com 1) and the otherside hooked up to a legitimate devicenet network (same one which desktop successfully connects to) but on the kdf there is no 'rs232 status' light on, the 'module status' light is blinking green steadily and the 'network status' light is also off.

Don't know much about XPmode (will look out for VMware) so don't know what version/service pack it's based on??

I get as far as the 'initialising driver' stage but then nothing happens after that.

Cheers again

Last edited: