Siemens to AB communication

Freak

I would like to get a database from a Siemens S7 PLC to a AB 5/04. S7 has onboard Profibus is there any way that these PLC's can communicate directly with each other?

Hello Freak;

Woodhead/Brad communications (formerly SST) makes a Profibus-DP scanner for the SLC 500 family. it can be setup either as master or slave on the bus, so you can have the flexibility you want.
Here is a link to the datasheet:
http://213.130.34.122/pdf/en/SST_PFB-SLC.pdf
and another to the backplane modules from Woodhead:
http://www.woodhead.com/products/automation/networkinterface/PLCBackplaneModules/#2113

Notice that it limits the data from one slave to 244 bytes In/Out, so if the database you want to transfer is larger you will have to multiplex the data in Ladder code.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Another way to get the data exchanged would be to use the smallest G3 as a protocol convertor and map the data block to exchange between the two plcs. The G3 will communicate via MPI and PPI for the S7 and DF1 and DH485 for the SLC.

There is another possibility, which is to communicate with DF1 protocol between the two PLC's.
There are communication modules with socalled "loadable drivers" for S7.
That said, the performance will not be exceptional, and all in all more expensive than adding a Profibus module in the SLC rack.
So I suggest to follow Daniels link to the SST module.
Btw. I think you will get the least trouble if you let the S7 be the master and the SST module a slave.