Allen Bradley Programming SW

reilton

Please,

Could somebody tell me where can I find the IPDS 5 or RS Logix to download. I've a big problem with a 5/03 CPU crash. Now it´s empty and I don't have the SW to upload the processor banghead .

tks,

sorry - bad news

first of all - if you REALLY do have a 5/03 processor (then it's probably an SLC-5/03 and you short-changed us on the model number) - then the software you need is RSLogix500 - or the (much) older APS software - the stuff you're refering to as "IPDS" is probably a version of the (much older) 6200 software - but that only worked with the larger PLC family - or do you really have a PLC-5/30 and simply transposed the digits of your model number? - in that case you need RSLogix5 software - or the older AI software for the PLC-5 - or the much older 6200 series -

in any event - NONE of this software is available as a free download - at least not to my knowledge -

finally - if the processor truly crashed and it's "empty" as you said - then the word you want to use is "download" not "upload" - in other words, we "download" a program TO the processor from the computer -

next question: do you have a good backup copy of your processor's program file on a disk somewhere?

please post again with more details (SPECIFICALLY with the FULL model number of your processor) - but I'm afraid you're going to have to spend some money to get this thing going again - or find someone how has the software and can help you out - what type of deadline are you working against?

Details

Ron,

Tks for your attention and tips.

Really I've a CPU5/03, the sw that I used in the past was the APS.

I've a old copy of the APS but we didn't do a upgrade and It doesn´t work with Win98 neither ME/XP. These are the operating systems that I've in the computers at the company.

I´m in a region far from the big cities and it´s necessary more than a day to receive a engineer coming from a dealer/representant AB Products.

We´re losing money working without the automation, cause this I'm tryingo to solve it fast.

If there's no other choice I will call the engineer.

About the backup, I have a good copy of the processor's program in a safe disk.

Please,

Send me news

You won't be able to get RSLogix 500 in a big hurry if you're a day away from your distributor, so you should be focussing on using APS with your SLC.

What you really need is a DOS computer !

When I need to get DOS running on my Windows 2000 PC, I don't usually do anything fancy with partitioning or emulation; I use a bootdisk.

Usually it's been a year or more since I've done this so I've lost my DOS 6.22 bootdisk and I end up downloading an image from "www.bootdisk.com".

When I boot up using one of these, I can usually see both my A: drive and the C: drive, and it's easy to navigate to the C:\IPDS\SLC500 directory and start the APS software.

It's good that you're using an SLC-500 controller that can be easily connected via a simple RS-232 null modem cable to Channel 0. Try 1200 baud first, then 19200 as your data rates (the old and new defaults for SLC's), and be sure to use CRC error checking.

If Ken’s suggestions don’t get you going ....

suggestion #1 - call your nearest Allen-Bradley distributor and see if they will accept a purchase order or credit card payment for a copy of RSLogix500 (about $1,100.00) - tell them what you’re up against - perhaps they can rush the software to you - maybe this would be quicker than having the engineer come out -

suggestion #2 - send the SLC processor and a COPY of your program disk to someone who already has the RSLogix500 software - (be sure that you keep a good copy just in case) - have them download the program for you and return the processor “ready to go” - maybe the engineer could do this for you quicker and cheaper than making a trip himself -

suggestion #3 - order a new SLC-5/03 processor from a distributor (or your engineer) who is willing to download the program for you BEFORE shipping the new processor - you can email them a copy of the backup program file - they should be able to send the new processor to you “ready to go” -

finally - after everything is taken care of - check into an EEPROM chip for the SLC-5/03 - if this is set up correctly, it will take care of 99% of these types of emergencies in the future - unfortunately it won’t do you much good in your present situation but check on it before you run into another “lost” program emergency -

nagging question - what caused the processor to “crash” - and how do you know that the same thing won’t happen again as soon as you’re back up and running? - consider this and take another good look at my suggestion #3 above -

good luck

Just a long shot suggestion. On the computer that has Windows 98, go to START > Shutdown > then click Restart in MS-DOS mode > click OK.
Change to your A:drive with your old version APS in it and try to install it to the C: drive.(There should be an installa.bat file or something similar on the floppy). If it will install then reboot the computer again to the MS-DOS prompt.
When computer reboots to C:\ prompt, type cd ipds. Then, type dir to find where the aps.exe file is. You may have to type cd again down to a lower directory such as arch or whatever other directories are present. It's been so long ago, I can't remember the exact file name or directory but look for the file extension of .exe.
I hope this helps a little.

tHANKS

I would like to thank for everybody who helped me.

Yesterday, I installed the APS using a bootdisk and later I connected the PLC using a DOS prompt with the W98 and the APS.

thanks for all,

Reilton

RE: Post # 3 (WINDOWS ME doesn't work)

Today I got out an old version of AB software for the SLC500, Ver. 5.01 I think, to try to install on Windows ME. I first went to the START menu > programs > accessories > clicked on MS Prompt.Typed cd\ (Enter). Inserted first floppy, then, typed A: (Enter). Typed install. It was a little bit of trouble to install,but after re-installing it once, it seems to be working offline. I don't have a PLC handy to test the online feature.