Selecting ethernet switches for process control network

wildswing

Just curious. What switches do you fellas prefer to use in your process control ethernet networks? Do you use CISCO or other names familiar to the IT world or do you prefer to use hardware that's specifically marketed to the controls world like the ones from Phoenix Contact, Multilin, etc.

Also, when selecting a switch, what criteria do you use and please explain why?

I used the cheapest one "LinkSys" for am application involving HMI onyl and logix processor. It has been working for the past three years with no problems so far.

Two months ago, I used a slightly expensive N-Tron for application involving six Flex700 and PV plus. That is working fine so far. AB recommends using CISCO and N-Tron.

All of our systems are 24V, and for some stupid reason, the installers used a 120V switch, which I am now replacing with a 24 port N-Tron. I have had two small ones in service for over a year, and no one even knows where they are except me. That's reliability...

I like the diagnostics capabilities of the N-Tron, as well. Fairly simple to tell if you have a problem on your network.

I used to use standard commercial grade switches. Some of them lasted well, some did not.
Recently I have switched to using Siemens and Moxa brand. They work quite well. One of the other problems we have is long runs that require Fiber Optics. You can get Siemens and Moxa switches with built in FO for only a bit more that commercial grade switches with FO to TP converters.

I started making this change when we had a switch fail on Christmas eve, with no spares, half an hour before all the shops closed and well after all our normal suppliers were off on the Christmas parties.

Luckily Dick Smith's was still open.

We have 24V Hirschmann switchgear. It is set up in a redundant ring with 5 drops. 4 drops have multiple PLCs and HMIs all talking to a central server. The network has been up for almost 3 years without any problems. Twice I've had UPS failures on 2 of the drops resulting in the ring to fail-over. None of the other systems on the other drops could tell anything happened. Hirschmann is not cheap, but it has been worth the money!

we used everything like Linksys, Advantech, Volition, Phoenix Contact, Weidmuller, Cisco and more but most machines these days get small cheap din rail mountable switch that runs on 24V like rest of the cabinet.
B&B sells few brands but there are local distributors selling
etc.
The only one I ever had problems with was Hirschmann. For some reason it was very picky about used cables. At first I thought that issue was error on one of in-house made cables but that wasn't the case. After trying factory made cables from different sources (new or used didn't matter) it became obvious that some of the switches simply don't want few cables out of any batch. All cables ware fine and worked without issue with any other swith so, no more Hirschmann here at least for a while.

I've had good results with Moxa switches. They can be configured in a redundant ring architecture in about 5 minutes using their turbo ring technology for high-reliability systems. Well priced as well!

Moxa is good.
The Cisco stuff is amazing, but you have to learn how to use the interface, & it can be a little overwhelming, but their hardware is industry leading.

wildswing said:
Just curious. What switches do you fellas prefer to use in your process control ethernet networks? Do you use CISCO or other names familiar to the IT world or do you prefer to use hardware that's specifically marketed to the controls world like the ones from Phoenix Contact, Multilin, etc.

Also, when selecting a switch, what criteria do you use and please explain why?
Phoenix Contact FL 8 port switches, meant for a 24/7 industrial environment. Stay away from Staple's Linksys specials

Ian

I've used Cisco and MOXA, MOXA are very well priced and work well. CISCO are expensive. I have also used for many years AU$100 switches that have worked well for years. As a general rule I avoid doing control over ethernet but that is probably for the most part stubborness as I still have more problems with DH485 and DH+

I used to work for TURCK. We sold many of these industrial switches. They worked well, especially when installed directly on the factory floor. IP67 rated switch, completely potted and sealed. All connections are 12mm for Ethernet and it is powered offf of 24Vdc. The only negative side is that they are unmanaged switches, the managed verions are supposed to be released soon.

TURCK Ethernet Switch

Joe_WaZoo

As a general rule I avoid doing control over ethernet but that is probably for the most part stubborness

I fully agree with you. I use Omron Controller Link for control and have absolutely no problems whatever. Token ring based, redundant, fully redundant if I use a fibre optic loop (circle).

Sixnet have some nice new managed switches that are industrially hardened. Do not know the price though. Sixnet is normally very good although I have not used their Ethernet switches.

Well what are you looking for?

It depends. If you're looking purely for an industriallly hardened switch, then there are many good options. Advantech makes a great 8 port switch for $199.

If you need a managed switch that also depends. Are you wanting to setup v-lans, use IGMP snooping, or limit utilization? We use the Cisco 2955-T exclusively in our managed applications. Truely superior, the expense is worth it in our case because our IT department is familiar with the interface. They've been very helpful in helping configure our networks.

Greg