Suspend mode _micrologix1000 analog

EDIT: I spoke before I looked in the following post, included herein as a warning against hubris. "No such thing" ? I crack me up.

There is no such thing as "suspend mode" in the MicroLogix 1000. The controller might have been switched to Program Mode (this cannot be done without a programming terminal) or have had it's memory corrupted and thus the user program was erased by the checksum watchdog.

The likely solution to either problem is to download the program to the controller again, and use RSLogix 500 to turn the controller into RUN mode.

Last edited:
Ken Roach said:
There is no such thing as "suspend mode" in the MicroLogix 1000. The controller might have been switched to Program Mode (this cannot be done without a programming terminal) or have had it's memory corrupted and thus the user program was erased by the checksum watchdog.

The likely solution to either problem is to download the program to the controller again, and use RSLogix 500 to turn the controller into RUN mode.

Ken could he be talking about this? ( of which I have no Knowledge of)

Suspend Code S:7
When a non-zero value appears in S:7, it indicates that the SUS instruction identified by this value has been evaluated as true, and the Suspend Idle mode is in effect. This pinpoints the conditions in the application that caused the Suspend Idle mode. This value is not cleared by the controller.
Use the SUS instruction with startup troubleshooting, or as run time diagnostics for detection of system errors.
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001, 2002

suspend.jpg

Wow, a learning experience

I admit I have never used the Suspend instruction, and have never seen a controller in Suspend Idle mode !

Something new every day.

I think you would just change the conditions that make the SUS instruction true so they are false, then place the controller back into RUN mode.

No controller in a production environment should ever experience this, because you wouldn't intentionally programmatically stop a controller.

I'm going to go get a MicroLogix and see about this.

Gee, I didn't know this handy little feature existed, and I've been using these controllers for a very long while.

The SUS instruction has a unique code you can enter for each SUS command, so rPraveenkum can search his program for the instruction that was the culprit.

The conditions that made the SUS instruction true have to be false before you can get back into RUN mode. You can change to run mode or program mode using RSLogix 500, but the controller will go right back into Suspend if the conditions for the SUS instruction are true.

Here's my example program, which I ran on a MicroLogix 1000 Analog controller:

suspender.GIF

I took a college plc class several years ago and the instructor demonstrated the suspend instruction.

I knew about it, but have still never seen one used in a working application.

I agree with Ken you would not want to halt the processor on a working system for any reason I can think of. I suppose it is an ok "trap", but still don't think I will ever use it.

RSL

Read Ken's post. Go online and put back in run mode. The conditions that
precede the SUS instruction must be false.

You can't download a program to the processor? What does it say? Can you go online?

How do you know it is suspended or is it a guess? What are the LEDs of the Micrologix status doing?

I got error messages from RSLogix 500 v 7.10 when trying to download to a MicroLogix 1000 Analog that was in Suspend mode. Cycling power to the controller allowed me to download again.

Only when I had the current version of the program in RSLogix 500 was I able to go online with the controller in Suspend mode.