12 Volt DC PLC

Kyle Grathwol

Does anyone know of a PLC that will run on 12 volts DC? Rockwell's Pico line has a 12 volt unit but I need something comparable to the Micrologix 1200 series. If anyone could recommend a unit that they know is reliable I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The DC power DirectLogic PLCs from AutomationDirect are capable of running on 12VDC. I have used a number of these on remote sites running on 12VDC with battery backup, and have had no problems whatsoever. Just my $.02

I don't know the Micrologix to make a comparison but Klockner Moeller make 12V versions of their Easy Smart Relays (simple PLCs), they are designed to take the punishment of use on trucks. I know they call them Smart Relays but they are a lot smarter that the PLCs I used to use a few years back. Otherwise just use a DC/DC converter to give you 24V.

Bryan

Hi Kyle

The ones I use are made in the UK see this link and download the pdf for the ones that say they have different variants. In my application they run off the battery on a Diesel Engine and so see all sorts of input voltage from 10 to 14 and so far are surviving very well. Also found this company in the US or have a look at Amplicon who sell in the US. I Googled using "dc/dc converter" +24 +output as the search term and got a lot of hits. You have to be careful to choose one with a stabilsed 24V output, some are really battery chargers that output at 27V. Also if you are running from a battery make sure it auto powers off at about 10.6 volts so that you don't deep discharge the battery. Another good place to look is marine suppliers (don't know if marine is the right word in the US, I mean ships and boats), they seem to do a lot of converting from 12 to 24.

Bryan

Kyle,

More specifics about your application would be helpful. The ML1200 is a base unit with the ability for additional I/O modules.

FYI all of our controllers can operate at 12 VDC.

Please note that I am employed by Entertron and therefore biased.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

I heard from a co-worker who went to Automation Fair that Allen-Bradley is going to release a 12VDC MicroLogix 1200 very soon. I'll see if I can get more details on that.

Ken Roach said:
I heard from a co-worker who went to Automation Fair that Allen-Bradley is going to release a 12VDC MicroLogix 1200 very soon. I'll see if I can get more details on that.

I heard that it won't be until spring 2007. It was supposed to be spring 2006, then fall 2006 now it is spring 2007. I heard the 1100 would be first. If you know different, please advise.

Thanks Ken.

Kyle

Noone mentioned it but if you have not bought a PLC yet then look at the DL06 from AutomationDirect.
http://web6.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_06/PLC_Units/D0-06DD1-D

That unit offers 20 DC in / 16 DC out, 12/24 VDC power supply. 14.8K words total (7679 words ladder - flash, 7488 words V-memory), RLL/RLLPLUS programming (DirectSOFT32 Version 4.0 or higher), two built-in RS232C communication ports. Secondary communications port supports RS232C/RS422/RS485, DirectNET Master/Slave, MODBUS RTU, Master/Slave, and ASCII In/Out. Inputs: 20 DC inputs, 12-24 VDC current sinking/sourcing, 5 isolated commons (4 inputs per common). First 4 inputs are configurable in one of several high-speed I/O features such as 7KHz counter input, pulse catch input, or interrupt input (not available when using pulse output). Outputs: 16 DC outputs, 12-24 VDC current sinking, 1.0A/pt. max., 4 commons non-isolated (4 points per common). 2 outputs are configurable for independent CW/CCW pulse train output or step and direction pulse output up to 10KHz (0.5A/pt.) (not available when using high-speed inputs). Four option slots available for I/O or communication modules. Price is $199, software (Directsoft5) $395.

I asked and got the answer "before Thanksgiving" on the 12 volt MicroLogix 1100 and 1200 controllers from Allen-Bradley. I'm not going to promote them until I see them, but it's good to know they're planning on being introduced soon.