HMI's

hipoint2

I am thinking about implementing an HMI, but don't know which way to go and thought maybe you guys would shed some light on what you use. I have a couple of SLC 5/05's running on ethernet and want to display some graphics and stuff in a control room. I didn't really want to go with a panelview, but something on a PC and the only thing I can think of is RSView with RSLinx, but wanted maybe something different. Got any suggestions?

What's your budget for this?

PanelView +, Intellution, Wonderware, Parker, roll your own... your best bet if you've never done any of them is probably some flavor of RSView, but you pay your money and take your choice <g>.

You may want to take a look at our Data Station Plus It can communicate to the SLC505's via Ethernet, then you can use the web server to view the data remotely. You could also use one of our G3 HMIs, which will give you both the local display and web server capability.

Regards,

DanYost said:
You may want to take a look at our Data Station Plus It can communicate to the SLC505's via Ethernet, then you can use the web server to view the data remotely. You could also use one of our G3 HMIs, which will give you both the local display and web server capability.

Regards,

S #jokeflag

Please Mr. DanYost, save us from commercial rubbish...

R #jokeflag

:)

Someone told me you can buy a runtime license for RSVeiw Studio for a PC is that true? I already have that software from when I did a Panelveiw 1000. How about RSLinx single node? trying to weigh in on my options don't think the company will give me alot of cash to develop this.

WJhsson said:
S #jokeflag

R #jokeflag

Notice that Mr Yost has many more posts than you, most of those post were providing invaluable information when needed. The original poster asked about options and he provided that.

We have many company representatives as members, and they are appreciated because who better to get information from then the source? Yes, it is a form of advertising, in this case well worth the cost because most do not abuse that aspect of it, their responses are directly related to the question(s) asked.

Obtain a few helpful posts before attempting to be derisive to anyone for the information they provide, please.

WJhsson said:
S #jokeflag

R #jokeflag

I am not connected with redlion at all, I have used many HMI's and can recommend them 100%.

I dont know where the commercial rubbish is coming from although i can see a jokers flag.

If you already have RSView Studio then you can develop your app as an RSView ME application that you can run from your Windows PC. The one thing to be aware of is that when running this on a PC, licensing is done based on the number of displays (screens). So you can buy a runtime (RSView ME Station) of either 15,30, or 75 displays.As for RSLinx, with RSView Studio, you already have RSLinx Enterprise which is all you need to talk to your SLC 5/05 processors. No need to get RSLinx Professional/Single Node.

OG

I concur with a few of the posters above, If you already have RSView studio and you plan on PC based scada,HMI then look into RSView ME runtime. The screen purchase method isn't a bad method of buying a PC based HMI since you can cram a ton of information on a single screen (better resolution than PVPlus) thus smaller analog value displays and smaller pushbuttons since you can use a mouse not a finger to activate.

Marc

Hello hipoint2.

Is the scenario that you only have this single project that you want to make a PC based HMI solution for ?
And the PLC is an SLC5/05.

If this is the case, then do not feel tempted to roll your own. Get a shrink-wrapped product, you will get the project finished sooner and at a much lower cost both initially and in the long run.
If you allready have some experience with RSView ME for panels, then go for a RSView ME runtime on a PC.

If on the other hand, you are also considering future projects, other PLCs, more functionality than RSView ME can offer etc., then inform as much as possible about it and we can help you more.

edit:
I forgot to tell you what I use myself. We use Siemens WinCC Flexible. We are using Siemens stuff more and more, so it is the natural choise for us. We can still use it for other types of PLCs though, including AB.

Last edited:
I reckon you can find dosens of different HMI brands that will suit your needs...
99.9% ot them will have SLC 5/05 Ethernet support...
It's all going down to your budget...
If you want my opinion on low costg HMI - Hakko is pretty good...