Length Measurement Cast Bar

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer asking me to do some retrofit work on a continuous cast bar line. I say continuous because there is some pushback and dwelling of the bar during the casting process.

The question came up of measuring the cast length. They currently have a roller contacting the bar with an encoder. The roller is pre-loaded by a pneumatic cylinder. They have had some problems with this setup and want to do away with it. Fine....

BUT

They want me to put an encoder on the drive roller that pulls the bar from the furnace. I asked if they have any slippage and I got a quick "don't worry about slippage" from the head man (Which I quickly wrote down in my dated notes).

However, I am worried about slippage! Especially since I will be reversing the bar 15 times a minute. There are some heafty top rollers which pinch the bar and force it into the drive roller (driven by 12" bore pneumatic cylinders). I think I should at least put the encoder on one of the hold down rollers if not create a new stand alone measuring system like they have now (It really should work from looking at it).

Anyone have any experience in this?

I have no experience with cast bars, but have worked around metal furnaces. I think that the length of the bar changes as it cools down. It certainly grows longer as it goes through the pinch rollers. The farther (and cooler) from the furnace, the more accurate the length measurement should be.