rssql /mssql

drewcrew6

I am having issues configuring rssql and mssql does anybody know this software?

I can't get past step 4 in rssql checklist.
I can provide any info that is needed.

Thanks
Drewcrew6

Welcome to the band! We set a system up three years ago and ran into similar problems. Let me first ask you, why did you choose RSSQL?

This is a home project, more for learning than anything, but do want to get my logging out of the plc. At work rssql is used for certain products and would like to know more about the inner workings of that end.

I am the "goto guy" on third shift and need to deal with a large variety of issues. From changing 50+hp motors and helping align shafts to the datalogging of products for prestigious customers, plc code changes, Pretty much you name it and I'll be there or will probably be asked.

Anyway that is the reason for the sql products.

Drewcrew6

drewcrew6 said:
I can't get past step 4 in rssql checklist.
Do you mean that you can't complete step 4 or that you've completed step 4 but can't advance to step 5?

In step 4, you select a table from the database and select the fields within the table that you will operate on.

Thank you for clarifying that. The reason I ask is that some companies have a standard and there is no getting around it, understandably. But setting up RSSQL is not a trivial task.

If you want to log to SQL from PLCs and you want to get it done fast, then you should download FactorySQL. The installer comes with a trial version of Kepware OPC server and gives you the option to install MySQL. It takes about ten to fifteen minutes to get it all set up and logging. You can log to MSSQL server, Oracle, DB2 or just about any SQL database in minutes.

We only use FactorySQL anymore because its easy to use, it does more and costs less.

If you still want to go down the RSSQL route, on step 4, the easiest route would probably be to select an ODBC connector for MSSQL Server under datasources from the control panel of Windows. This creates a DSN which should be setup to point to the database you want to refer to. Make sure you do this under the system DSN tab. The database and tables must already be created (you can do this using MSSQL server Enterprise Manager). Select the table you want to affect.

Hope this is of use to you.

Last edited:
I am using control connectors rslinx classic and factory talk.
Enterprise connectors is microsoft ole-db.

In step 4 on the second window ole-db connection definition the server name self populates but it will not pickup a database. I believe i have created a database in mssql, which is what i think i should be seeing. is this correct?

Drewcrew6

Yes, but you also need to create your table(s). RSSQL won't create them for you. Make double sure the database is created and that the tables are created. Then click the little box next to database connection and select your database instance and supply the username/ password you provided for your database access at the time you set it up. Select "table" and you should be able to see any tables for that database in the dropdown box below.

Just for the heck of it, try creating a a DSN connection under Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Datasources. Be sure to use the "System DSN" tab. Select "Add", go to the bottom of the list of drivers and add "SQL Server".

This is an alternate route to the OLE-DB connector so select this connector in "Step 4" and see if you can see your database and tables. (be sure your tables have already been created also).

Dave,
If you are trying to do simple datalogging try FactorySQL. I'd be happy to help you get it installed and logging. You can download a free 2 hour runtime trial here.

I wasn't able to get RSSQL to work past about 5-6 the last time I tried either so I won't be much help there. If you have general SQL questions or questions on MSSQL, I'd be happy to help you out.

--------------------
Nathan Boeger, MCSE
Inductive Automation
Specializing in web based and SQL database based SCADA applications
"Design simplicity cures engineered complexity"