Clear 150 80 character strings SLC500

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
In a SLC 5/05, I need to clear 150 string elements (all in the same file) of 80 characters each. The FLL instruction will only operate on 3 at a time. Does anyone have a better method?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

The FLL execution time is (21.9+2.50/word) microseconds.
With it's maximum of 128 words, one FLL will take 342 microseconds.
You need to manipulate 6000 words, assuming 2 symbols per word.
Calculate yourself how long a single-pass fill will take (and how many FLLs).
IMO, any other method will take comparable time.
The task must be done by portions, scan-by-scan.

Agree with Sergei, FLL is not ideal for clearing data in ST file, especially when you have a heap of them.

I may go for individual MOV instruction [ MOV 0 ST:20.LEN], may be in a separate sub routine called just to reset those in one scan or within a loop to perform a reset. Still it takes about 200 micro sec.

Regards
_______

Do you actually have to clear the memory occupied by the strings?
Setting the string .LEN to 0 will effectively erase the string so far as RSLogix or RSView is concerned.