MSG over ethernet

dluebbert

Hello
I need to msg between a 5000 and a slc via ethernet using the MSG command. Does any one have any insight in how to set this up.
Thanks

Read about the MSG command in your manual. It is really easy. Just look at the example. To post the instructions would be pointless, when such documentation is available for the taking on their website.

I would say that there are several people with "insite in how to do this".

Look up the manuals read them and give it a try. If you still have trouble post a specific question and you will get really good answers.

RSL

Greetings dluebbert ...

and welcome to the forum ...

if you need detailed help, just post a DETAILED description of your system hardware and list the appropriate IP addresses, module types, slot locations, how much data you need to transfer, etc. ... if you’ll tell us EVERYTHING, then we can probably duplicate your setup in the lab and provide the completed program for you ...

basic idea: the more we know, the more we can help ...

your original post didn't specify one major issue, so here's a quick question: do you want the SLC processor’s program to contain the MSG instruction? ... or will the MSG instruction be contained in the ControlLogix processor’s program? ... we can transfer the data either way - but it makes a big difference in how we have to set things up ...

details

Ok, I have a logix5000 with an 1756-enbt in slot 1. conneted via ethernet is a slc5/05 (1747-l552b). i need to transfer data between them. the ethernet of the slc plugs into the processor in slot 0..
thanks for the feedback

Make sure you use commas except in IP

1- backplane
1- Slot ENBT
2 - front port
192.123.64.216 - SLC IP address

Last edited:
I am also msg vie enet from the controllogix to ENI device that connects 232 to a micrologix, and pointer would also be appreciated.
thanks

The path would be the same for the Micrologix except change to it's IP Address. Now for going from the micrologix to the Controllogix you would need to configure the ENI for the Controllogix address

One other common problem. Have you mapped PLC/SLC Messages in RsLogix 5000?

One other common problem. Have you mapped PLC/SLC Messages in RsLogix 5000?
You don't have to map anything if message originated in Logix controller.
Mapping required only if message coming from SLC

Micrologix uses SLC type messages