SLC 5/05 Ethernet to PC help

Road_Guy

I am no rookie to Allen-Bradley PLCs.
However this is the first one I used with
an Ethernet port. I can communicate through
Channel 0 with no problems. The Ethernet port
is another story. Does anyone have a basic
setup outline on how to setup communications
between the Slc/05 and a PC utilizing RSlinx?
I am using a crossover cable and the Ethernet
LED is solid green.

Greetings Road Guy ...

see if this helps ... go through Channel 0 to get to this screen ... the circled stuff is the most important ...

enet_ch1.JPG

try setting up the driver in RSLinx like this ...

enet_linx.JPG

good luck ... and welcome to the forum ...

For Window2000 don't forget to setup your local area connections:

Click on: Setting-->Network and Dial-up Connection-->Local Area Connection

Highligh Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
Click Properties TAB
Enter the same IP address (last address different for PC) and Subnet mask.

I am still having problems. I tried Ron's suggestion
on my notebook PC ( Windows Xp Home ) and my Desktop
( Windows Xp Prof. ). When I go to Rslinx and use RSwho
I get Browsing - node 10.10.10.30 found but a red X over
a question mark and an Unregonized message. Any suggestions?

this is what it looks like when RSLinx can't see the processor at all ... basically it's not "seeing" anything ... it's just responding to the address that you put into the driver ...

enet_x.JPG

note that in my setup, I don't even have an SLC hooked up - and the picture above is what I'm seeing ...

check (and double-check) your cable - it should be a "cross-over" cable - unless you're using two cables and an ethernet hub/switch device ... in that case, both cables should have "straight-through" pinouts ...

one other thought ... is it possible that you're using a new (recent revision/model) processor - and an older version of RSLinx? ... sometimes there can be problems when an older version of software can't recognize a newer version of hardware ... in many cases, you need to download the newest version of software to "get current" with a new hardware purchase ...

from shahn4:

Enter the same IP address (last address different for PC) and Subnet mask.

and now from Mickey:

Whats to IP address of your computer?

try setting the computer's IP address to something like 10.10.10.0 ... and cross your fingers when you try it ... sometimes that helps ...

Ron - is the IP/Mask you presented concerning the IP in the channel 1 setup a typical default for the SLC 5/05 processor or just one you happened to have set up? If not a default I find it curious that Road_Guy apparently found the same IP. (Or possibly didn't check at all.)

Road_Guy - make sure to connect to the PLC via channel 0 (serial port) and verify the settings for the Ethernet port (channel 1).
In order to communicate via the Ethernet the 'Subnet Mask' in the PLC AND on your PC must be the same. The IP must be the same in any position where the 'Subnet Mask' has a number other than zero. (This is a little simplistic but it's easier to explain this way.). The IPs (your PC and the PLC) must be different at one of the positions (usually the last) where the 'Subnet Mask' has a zero. The posts from shahn4 and Mickey are concerned with verifying that your PC is set properly.

Thanks for the help everybody. After reveiwing all
your advice I got it to work. I used my notebook
computer's IP and subnet addresses'. I just added
1 to the PC IP address to make it the PLC address.
Has anyone used these RS-232 Port Splitters Allen-
Bradley is offering?

Greetings Bernie ...

Ron - is the IP/Mask you presented concerning the IP in the channel 1 setup a typical default for the SLC 5/05 processor or just one you happened to have set up?

it's just a simple "junk" address that I have the students use for their lab exercises ...

glad you got it working, Road_Guy ... personally I don't know what "splitters" you're talking about ... but then I don't get around as much as most of the other guys ... if you don't get an answer soon, you might trying posting a link ...

Hi, hoping yee could help, I'am having a similiar problem to the above. I'have two laptops, 1 with windows 2000 and the other with windows xp (home edition).

I can see the PLC with the windows 2000 but the other one is giving me the question mark with the cross through it as above. Everything seems to be setup exactly alike on the two computers. I have pinged the PLC and can see it. Is there something about windows xp edition and firewalls that prevents access on network?. Do I need to disable something?. I'am using RSLinx Professional 2.43.01.23 (cpr6) and a SLC 1747-L552B/C 5/05 Series c. Ron do you know whether the latest RSlinx will be required?

Again appreciate any help on this .Thanks

RPax, if you can ping it just fine then I would check to see you have the updated EDS file for that PLC on the PC you having issue with.

Go to http://www.ab.com/networks/eds.html to download the EDS for the PLC then use "EDS Hardware Installation Tool" under Programs>Rockwell Software>RSLinx Tools to install the EDS file.