K.o. Lee Grinder Help !!!

Helpme

Hi,

I got a bit of a dilemma. Basically, this is what im working with. We have a K.O. Lee brand Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder B6062 (http://www.kolee.com/tool.htm) type H with a Siemans Sinumerik 802 controller (http://www.automation.siemens.com/m...745d/index.aspx) We just recently had a technician come in from Siemens to see what he could do for us, but unfortunately without a PLC backup program, there wasn't really much he could do. Its possible that our back up battery died on the system and cleared out the ram memory or it could have been due to the fact that there is a clear option as soon as you turn the machine on.

I was told by the technician that if we were able to get a hold of someone else using the same setup, then by uploading this PLC program (the brains) he could fix any minor issues there after.

SO im basically looking to see if anyone out there is currently using the set up we have and if theyd be so kind as to even email me the program. It would be a tremendous help and I would somehow see how we could repay you as well as, save what looks like a total loss.

Regards,

Vartan

Vartan,
we had similar problems like this in the past. one possibility would be to check whether a second hand machine tool seller has the same type of machine in stock. when a m/c like this is sold, normally a data backup is made before the m/c is dismantled. sometimes the sellers are helpful and sell you a copy of the data backup.

Helpme said:
Hi,

I got a bit of a dilemma. Basically, this is what im working with. We have a K.O. Lee brand Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder B6062 (http://www.kolee.com/tool.htm) type H with a Siemans Sinumerik 802 controller (http://www.automation.siemens.com/m...745d/index.aspx) We just recently had a technician come in from Siemens to see what he could do for us, but unfortunately without a PLC backup program, there wasn't really much he could do. Its possible that our back up battery died on the system and cleared out the ram memory or it could have been due to the fact that there is a clear option as soon as you turn the machine on.

I was told by the technician that if we were able to get a hold of someone else using the same setup, then by uploading this PLC program (the brains) he could fix any minor issues there after.

SO im basically looking to see if anyone out there is currently using the set up we have and if theyd be so kind as to even email me the program. It would be a tremendous help and I would somehow see how we could repay you as well as, save what looks like a total loss.

Regards,

Vartan

Simple question here: why not contact K.O.Lee?

I understand that the manufacturer has been contacted, but cannot give support any more, since the machine is too old.
this can happen when you have to do with older machines..

Bazoo63 said:
I understand that the manufacturer has been contacted, but cannot give support any more, since the machine is too old.
this can happen when you have to do with older machines..

IMHO, that is a lame excuse the mfg is giving. Especially when the controller is still supported. The company I work for still supports machinery that was shipped in the 80's; often there is an opportunity to upgrade the control system for a tidy profit.

jstolaruk said:
IMHO, that is a lame excuse the mfg is giving. Especially when the controller is still supported. The company I work for still supports machinery that was shipped in the 80's; often there is an opportunity to upgrade the control system for a tidy profit.

I was thinking the same thing. If the company is still in business and the control is still supported, its amazing that they don't have the logic.

Retrofitting a new control is always an option. I'm surprised more Machine Tool Builders don't offer the service.

jcr said:
Retrofitting a new control is always an option. I'm surprised more Machine Tool Builders don't offer the service.

This doesn't help the OP, but Lucas Precision is about as good at that as anyone. I think they could help a person out on the very first machine they sold if they had to.

At any rate, I'd call the maker of this grinder again. I suspect the first person contacted there may have not known who to ask. While I've never had to call a manufacturer to get a PLC program that I can recall, I've found that parts one person said weren't available for an old machine were easily located by the second person (if I was fortunate enough to get a second person on the second call).

jcr said:

A retrofit may be an option. The question however remains, is the machine worth it? As far as I understand this would require not just a run the mill plc but a cnc controller and the whole lot, that means to spend easily 20 grands. and afterwards it's still an old machine.. as far as I have seen these retrofits on old machinery pay only off for bigger machines or special machine tools.
a small grinder like the one we talk about is probably not worth.