One shot instruction in SLC/05

fluoronator

What is the difference between the ONS and OSR instructions in the SLC/05. I've read the help for both instructions but the difference was not apparent to me.

The OSR (one Shot Rising) is for the 5/05

The ONS instruction is not available for the 5/05 its for the micrologix 1200 and 1500 and looks to me to be the same.

edit: On the 1200 and 1500 the OSR is an Output where as on the SLC its an Input. But the ONS is not available on any SLC.

osr.jpg

osr_consid.jpg

Last edited:
ONS is not available in the SLC 5/05, only the OSR is. In the MicroLogix, both are used, but differently.
Try using them in the various processor types. You will see how the ONS is "grayed out" when you choose a 5/04 processor. You will also see the difference in how they are applied.

It was obvious to me when I played around.

ONS is used when passing "power flow"
OSR is used like an output instruction where you specify storage and output bits.

EDIT: 504bloke's post above is very definitive. I still suggest playing around in the RS Logix software.

The SLC500 is the odd ball when it comes to one shots. The PLC5 family had the ONS inline instruction and the OSR and OSF output instructions, which have been continued in the MicroLogix and ControlLogix family.

Certain models in the SLC500 family also are a bit funny about how they handle one shots on branched rungs as well. The fixed SLC, 5/01 and 5/02 don't properly process one shots in branches. Refer to the manual for more info.