STL to ladder conversion

ggchavhan

Hi everbody

I know only ladder programming in S7 200 and S7 300; but during analysis of STL code I face lot of problems. Can anybody help me to convert STL code to ladder, because option available in SIMATIC MANAGER partially convert STL to LADDER not completly. If I could get information my tention will be release much more.

Thanks.

Some STL instructions can be represented in LAD, but there are many instructions that are valid and correct in STL which have no equivalent in LAD. This is not the case in reverse: all LAD structures can be represented by combinations of STL instructions.

It may be possible to add/change STL statements to ensure that they are capable of being displayed as LAD but here is a paradox. In order to know how to convert these STL statements, you will have to learn so much about STL that you will no longer need to convert it - you will understand the STL itself.

My recommendation is to learn STL as another language in itself. It is very powerful and efficient compared to LAD, even if it does not have the same visual appeal.

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken

As I will have to lern it my self (no tutor is there in). Can you suggest me how to lern STL i.e. way how to learn.

one way to learn, is to write a piece of code in ladder, then change to STL. If its written in ladder, then it can convert between the both no problem.

That will help you as a first step.

You could then try modifying the STL code, in a way it still works but takes less instructions. There are a lot of fillers used in ladder to assist the graphical view which actually does nothing.

The STL only instructions eventually become second nature.

I am assuming you are talking about a Step7-300 or 400 program.
I do conversions all of the time.... for money. Cost is determined by the amount of money you have, time available and the level of pain you are in.

Here's a little head start. It is a few pages of a presentation I did for Siemens at the Siemens Summit in Las Vegas in June.

All very nice and easy, but I think you'll find a proper STL program won't be so conveniently put together.

Although I would agree, some chunks can be split as such.