AB CLGX 5000 and Net DNI

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi. I can find plenty of info on the NET-DNI connecting to a micrologix using the micrologix as slave IO with an SLC as the master but nothing with a control logix and a DNB module as the master.
Is there any advantage/disadvantage in a control logix platform as the master instead of an SLC. Regards Alan Case

The principal difference between the 1756-DNB and the 1747-SDN as a DeviceNet Master is that the 1756-DNB data table is 32 bits wide instead of 16 bits wide.

This can be a little surprising, especially if your "slave data" is represented as 16-bit Words (as in a MicroLogix or SLC). Stack two of those side-by-side in a 32-bit DINT and they're not recognizable as integers.

Fortunately, it's easy to reformat an array of 16-bit INT data into an array of 32-bit DINT data in the ControlLogix, using the venerable COP instruction.

The 1756-DNB I/O table is also significantly bigger (248 Words I/O instead of 181 Words I/O) and it does DeviceNet explicit messaging in a much simpler way than the 1747-SDN. Passing through the 1756-DNB onto DeviceNet with RSLinx is about 20 times faster than doing the same thing with the 1747-SDN, though I still recommend a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD for initial setup of networks.