PLC and Scada's Standards

TONY

1.Can some one help me? I have to setup standards for our PLC and SCADA’S (OMRON, Allen Bradley, Citect and Fix6.15). This must go to the SI to quoted on new PLC. If you got a document for any PLC I will change it to suit our Site.
2. Are there any PLC Programers that are still using bit stripping? If so what are the advantage of doing this. We use an SI that read the word from the PLC (Siemens) and then strip it in Citect (cicode). Is this the norm??

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

I assume you mean bit stripping? We use it in our plant but I have never heard it called that before. We use S7 PLC's to Adroit SCADA and what reading in a word does ofr us to save on scanpoints (tags). For example, we use a number of X-Ray machines which feed back system status to the SCADA. Instead of reading 16 digital (and using 16 tag licences), we read in the status as a 16 bit word (and use only 1 tag license) and then "strip" out the relevant bits for display on the HMI. Is this similar to what you guys do? Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Standards

Hey Tony you must look what will best suite the current condition and standards of the site, if you are looking to implement standards the best would be to follow what all technical people all already aware of. Colors for interlocks,holds ect..

It really all depeneds on what is currently on the plant and where you want to go. If there are previous block of code for motos valves ect. Keep them and with the SI you can maybe improve their functionality..

Rheinhardt

Thanks it must be Bit stripping. This it what they do, it is very difficult to do fault finding from Scada’s to PLC

It sound easy but we are going to change from old Siemens PLC S5 to OMRON PLC the structures are not the same. The Scada’s we going to change from Citect to Adroit. The colors are the easy part of the whole system we only use red for Stop, green for running and flashing red for trip. Level probes and sensors are red if it is active. On valves we use green on open valve and red on closed valve

Hi Tony,

Bit stripping in Adroit is simple, as they have agents (an agent is a "type" - i.e: digital, analog, text, multistate etc) which cater for that. i.e: in the example I quoted earlier, we use whats called a multistate agent which you scan to the word in the PLC. In the multistate are 16 "slots" which correspond to each bit of the word, which you then allocate a name etc. I thought Citect had similar types, as we use Citect in our sister plant.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Be a bit careful of Adroit with Omron. Unless Adroit have woken up, they only had a serial driver or OPC available for Omron. When I last had a look they had no direct Ethernet or Controller Link interface (FINS Gateway) for Omron. Serial is as slow as a wet week. Not real impressed with OPC either.

Citect have all the good fast drivers available for Omron free of charge. They issue you with a FINS Gateway disk on request that supports serial, Ethernet, Controller Link, Sysmac Link, Sysmac Net Link to Omron PLCs. I much prefer Citect anyway.