Can we program AB 1305 drive without handheld?

flyers

Hi,

We've a customer site running an Allen Bradley 1305 drive.

The drive has been running fine for years and recently they face this problem, where everytime they cycle power the system, the motor will run at different speed, a check on the inverter shows that some parameters are not correct as it should be.

We've resetted back these paramaters into the 1305:
1) Frequency Set- Preset freq 4 = 38
2) Diagnostic- Freq Command = 44.00

The motor is running fine, but when recycle power again, these parameters will be different already.

1) I suspect if it's due to the 1305 get the settings from the EEPROM, everytime we cycle power it (like SLC Flash PROM), or we need to save the settings we change into the 1305 EEPROM?

2) Can we program or save the setting into the 1305 EEPROM without using any hand held? I read from the manuals, example shows upload and download 1305 EEPROM settings using HIM only.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

I have not used 1305's for several years, so my recollection may be rusty.

The 1305 and 1336 Plus/PlusII drives have a nonvolative memory onboard that works like flash memory. Every time you set a parameter in the drive using a HIM module or sending a message from a controller, it is saved to nonvolatile memory.

Repeat: every time you enter a parameter via any method, it is saved to nonvolatile memory.

The "EEPROM" functions described in the user manual are for saving whole sets of parameters to the HIM module and restoring those sets of parameters to the drive, or setting all the paramters to default.

Does the drive ever fault or give a fault code ?

Check all the Preset Speed values when you make a change, and when they appear to change. If they're set to defaults (10,20,30,40,50, etc) then you probably have a failing memory chip and will eventually have to replace the drive.

Ken Roach said:
I have not used 1305's for several years, so my recollection may be rusty.

The 1305 and 1336 Plus/PlusII drives have a nonvolative memory onboard that works like flash memory. Every time you set a parameter in the drive using a HIM module or sending a message from a controller, it is saved to nonvolatile memory.

Repeat: every time you enter a parameter via any method, it is saved to nonvolatile memory.

The "EEPROM" functions described in the user manual are for saving whole sets of parameters to the HIM module and restoring those sets of parameters to the drive, or setting all the paramters to default.

Does the drive ever fault or give a fault code ?

Check all the Preset Speed values when you make a change, and when they appear to change. If they're set to defaults (10,20,30,40,50, etc) then you probably have a failing memory chip and will eventually have to replace the drive.

Ken,

Thx for your reply. I think i'll check on your points and from your explaination, i suspect it's the hardware failure. I might advise customer to upgrade to PF4 or PF40 instead of replacing with a 1305, based on your experience, do you see any problem with this kind of replacement? If not mistaken 1305 is more expensive than PF.

Thank you.