AB Firmware question

mrdmrd

Hello everyone

We recently got a piece of equipment in that is using a Logix 5561 processor. The company that we purchased it from is being a little bit of a pain in giving us the orgianl copy of the program. When we tried to go online with the processor using RSlogix 5000 we get the following message: (from a co-worker)

The error, what it said in the box was comm path AB_DF1-1\1, choose firmware revision, then had a browse file box (file search box), then on top of the box (outer edge) it said install firmware update.

Can anyone give me some direction as to what I need to do for this?

The more details the better. We are using RSLogix 5000 Version 15.01.

I know that this may be simple to most of you but we are just now moving into the world of Control Logix and we do not have a lot of experiance dealing with it, all of our stuff has always been SLC PLC's.

Last edited:
To go online you must be at the same revision of Logix software as the firmware in the processor. If the processor is at Firmware 13.33 then you need to install version 13 of RSLogix 5000. You can have multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 installed on the same computer. Don't download firmware into the processor. This will erase the program.

So you are saying that I would need to purchase an OLDER version of RSLogix 5000 to be able to get online with this processor.

I have not yet looked at the system, but how do I know the version of Firmware that is in the processor?

No, when you install logix5000 you get the option to install ver 12,13,14,15 etc etc etc. I just install all versions.

You can find processor FW rev in RSlinx - right click on the processor and select Device Properties

Look at Revision line

I just recently bought a copy of Logix5000 v15 and it came with all previous versions on the install disk. So you probably have it since you have vers. 15, just not installed.

Thanks guys it ended up needing 13.04.

I could not believe the upload rate of this PLC. Using RS-232 it took over 25 minutes to get it uploaded.

I am correct in thinking that there is not a processor that has an ethernet port and a RS232 port on it right?

I would need to buy an Ethernet module for the PLC right?

What are the serial communication settings for your processor? Twenty-five minutes seems to be a very long time for the upload, even for a very large program. One thing to be aware of is that the CLX stores the tag descriptions right in the processor so there does tend to be more information to transfer.

We usually add the ENBT etnernet bridge card to our processors. If this is something that you are going to be changing frequently you may want to consider adding one. The ENBT is a seperate card in the CLX platform because the CLX backplane is a ControlNet backplane, so with the ENBT you have a fully functional bridge that can allow you bridge from ethernet directly over to ControlNet, DeviceNet, DH+, DH485, Modbus, Profibus, etc just by inserting the correct module for your other network.

Reinstall the RSL5K software, while installing select every version dont select the current version. After selecting every version option check that all the version installed sucessfully.

when first time using clx to downloaded 2 mb program I tried with serial port of Clx the progress bar for downloading unchanged for a long time, I repeated the process for three day by clearing the processor memory, after I find out we need the enternet card or controlnet card for downloading the larger files

For flexlogix we use serial port for downloading