"RSView Studio"

gherz817

Can I use RsView Studio to upload and program PanelView 600, 1000 and other Panel view's? What software version is the best to buy?

Thanks in advance...

gherz817

Last edited:
RSView Studio for RSView Machine Edition software can be used to create and upload programs to the Panelview Plus line of terminals (PV+ 400, 600, 1000, 1250, and 1500; I may have missed one or two, as I'm doing this from memory).

If this is a new installation, I would recommend using the latest available version of the software, which is version 4.0.

Rick

If you are talking about PanelView standard terminals the application used is still PanelBuilder32.

Studio is for PV+'s as stated above.

RSL

And if you are trying to upload a PV+ application, you won't be able to edit it unless you have the original application that was used to load the panelview.

This is the downside to the Plus line. When you load a unit, it you create a runtime file, which is a compressed version of your application. Unfortunately there is no way to take that runtime file and uncompress it. At least that I have ever heard of.

I have said this on other posts. You can convert an uploaded runtime file to the application file, but you have to send it in to AB which of course they charge you for it.

There is a way to unarchive MER file...

To un-archive the MER file follow these easy steps:
1. Upload MER file from PanelView.
2. Double click on the project with the MER extension. RS View ME Station will start.
3. As long as RS View ME Station is running (even if an error is shown) it un-archives the project to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<login username>\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00

Replace <login username> with your login details.

Note that “\Local Settings” is a hidden directory.
The un-archived files are deleted when ME Station is no longer running.

gherz817 said:
Can I use RsView Studio to upload and program PanelView 600, 1000 and other Panel view's? What software version is the best to buy?

Thanks in advance...

gherz817
There is important that with v4, you can save in older versions, it will depends of the firmware in your panel view, if this panel view is older version it will need the mer file saved on 3.0,3.1 or 3.2 goodlock.

n_lev

Are you saying I can then edit this file somehow? And Save it as a .apa? I have found the Mer.00, Now what do I do with it.

Thanks for your help

sageone said:
n_lev

Are you saying I can then edit this file somehow? And Save it as a .apa? I have found the Mer.00, Now what do I do with it.

Thanks for your help
Yep. Mer.00 is a folder. Just go into it and you will see all folders that a standart for any other project. Just copy all this stuff to where your RSView stores projects. When you start RSView Development next time it should show you this project in a list...
Haven't done that for a while so may forget some details...

n_lev said:
There is a way to unarchive MER file...

To un-archive the MER file follow these easy steps:
1. Upload MER file from PanelView.
2. Double click on the project with the MER extension. RS View ME Station will start.
3. As long as RS View ME Station is running (even if an error is shown) it un-archives the project to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<login username>\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00

Replace <login username> with your login details.

Note that “\Local Settings” is a hidden directory.
The un-archived files are deleted when ME Station is no longer running.

That worked like a champ

I had to create a new project in RSView Studio with the same name as the .MER. This is the only way that I was able to open the project in RSView Studio.

I deleted all the contents of the new project and replaced them with the contents of the temporary folder noted in your steps.

The one thing that it didn't restore was the RSLinx Enterprise path. I guess that is not that big of deal as long as you don't replace the comms when you download. It is pretty simple to re-create it though.

One of our Engineers was at the Automation Fair a couple of weeks ago and a Rockwell guy said that this was not possible. They are supposed to add this feature into the next release of RSView.

dmroeder said:
That worked like a champ

I had to create a new project in RSView Studio with the same name as the .MER. This is the only way that I was able to open the project in RSView Studio.

I deleted all the contents of the new project and replaced them with the contents of the temporary folder noted in your steps.

The one thing that it didn't restore was the RSLinx Enterprise path. I guess that is not that big of deal as long as you don't replace the comms when you download. It is pretty simple to re-create it though.

One of our Engineers was at the Automation Fair a couple of weeks ago and a Rockwell guy said that this was not possible. They are supposed to add this feature into the next release of RSView.

I had a little trouble at first. It turned out that I was using the wrong project name. The project name was different from the name of the .MER file.
The acutal project name that you need to use can be found (It is the filename of the .med file in the mer.00 folder).

There you go :)

I remember it was a bit tricky :)

I still hope though that Rockwell will add this function so we won't have to use these perversions in future :)