S7 MPI comunicatiom

Manuel Raposo

Hi,

Does anyone knows how to devellop or get an OPC client to read and write variables of one Siemens S7-300 within a Visual Basic program?

Alternatively I can devellop a simplified MPI comunication if I know where to get the MPI protocol description.

Hi Manuel,

you can get an OPC server from Siemens (Siemens NET) that will talk with all types of siemens standard networks MPI, Profibus, Ethernet.
I have tried it and it works OK, but i found that the configuration is quite confusing with many different programs for various functions.

There are many other vendors of OPC servers for Siemens MPI, maybe they are more simple to use.

An alternative is Prodave MPI from siemens, it is a package that acesses the the MPI network via a DLL. I have never used it though.

best regards,
Jesper M. Pedersen

If you have OPC-Server for Simatic-Net you can use its ActiveX control in your VB-form. There are propertyes for write and read mapped variables. You can read data with data-changed-event so your VB-application don't need use polling and is as 'Windows application'. OPC-Server polls PLC itself.