Just Wondering.

vettedrivr

I was wondering if anyone has a breakdown or knows where to find one on what the market share of each of the PLC manufacturers is. Allen Bradley says they have 51% of the market share world wide but no one else says what they control. I have identified 80+ companies that produce PLC's but nobody but allen bradley seems to want to tell what percentage of market share thay have. Just curious.
Thanks

I think every manufacturer re-defines "the market" until whatever they sell comes out with the largest share. So you'll get one who claims to be the largest "automation" supplier, or the largest "control systems" supplier, or the largest "PLC" supplier etc. Then you have the tricky task of getting Allen Bradley to define for you exactly what it is they have 51% of. And even if they did divulge their definition, would you necessarily agree with it? What about our own dearly beloved Smoke and Mirrors Inc. headquartered right here at this site? [See other posts to numerous to mention] Why, we must have 101% (at least) of the market share for something.

These market share figues are probably for pumping up the shareholders (annual reports etc), pumping up the company's own sales staff, and not much else. We probably all know who the big players in the business are, and whether it's 51% or 49% who cares?

Regards

Ken

Basically, AB runs American machinery while Siemens runs European machinery. And they're way ahead of whoever's in second place in their respective areas of the world.

Ken M said:
...What about our own dearly beloved Smoke and Mirrors Inc. headquartered right here at this site?...

What happen to S&M was a hostile take over by, well...lets just say someone big, first they took care of our CEO (Terry Woods) then they took our market share....Damn I hate being unemployed...

While i was off on medical (heart attack) my boss told our company that allen bradley has 90 per cent of all new machinery . Ha Ha what a jerk. If thats true the other manufactures need not apply. I cant well actually I can believe my company bought his BS. I went from omron to automation direct and if I had my say id still be using the A/D stuff. Im thinking though I can ebay all my leftovers and save for retirement. Im 55 now so anything helps. I went to a/b programming class a few weeks ago and i asked the instructor his input on the 09% deal. He told me maybe on big equipment like the big 3 use but for out apps no way. He was honest about it and I like that in a person. Im still figuring out the a/b stuff but ill get it cause i may need it for my future job
Dave

john paley said:
Basically, AB runs American machinery while Siemens runs European machinery. And they're way ahead of whoever's in second place in their respective areas of the world.
And Mitsubishi runs Asian. Don't forgot the world now has three major market areas!