Eeprom And Battery

atatari

Hi everybody,

What's the point of having the battery when I am using EEproms to keep the program? Does the battery keep other informations?

Thanks

EEPROM AND BATTERY

The Ge Fanuc PLC has the option of using the UVprom or Ram it means when I use the UVprom option I don have RAM..So where the data are stored?

Re: EEPROM AND BATTERY

atatari said:
The Ge Fanuc PLC has the option of using the UVprom or Ram it means when I use the UVprom option I don have RAM..So where the data are stored?

In retentive "battery backed" ram. There are very new flash memory chips that one can write to and a shadow flash is updated in the back ground. Normally it takes too long to update normal eeprom or flash so battery backed up ram is used for quickly changing data.

Others on this forum have complained about systems that don't have battery backed up ram and require one to manually update a flash. When they forget to update the flash after making changes the loose their changes.

Atatari, I don't know much about the GE Fanuc PLCs but I would bet that the UVProm stores the PLC program and maybe some default or initial data values but not the run time tallies.

Although the EEPROM store the program on some system the battery can also be used to retain the status of certain flags etc.on a power failure. This makes it easier to recover on a warm start.