Rs Logix 5

jtorres2_77

I have what I think is a quick question. My company finally upgraded from the old 6200 series software to the new rs logix 5 version 7.10.02 software. With the 6200 series software in order to communicate to a 1785-lt4 procesor using the dh+ port we used a 1784-cp/b cable and the allen bradley communications card that's inside of the old p/c. I'm not sure if the new software still needs to use the allen bradley communication card, is there a serial port or usb port communications cable that I can use that doesn't need the communication card?

You can still use the DH card, or a serial cable with the serial port. In either case, you will need RSLinx drivers to establish communication. You can install RSLinx Lite from the same disk(s) you used to install RSLogix. RSLinx drivers must be configured before you will be able to "go online" using RSLogix.

The processor you have does not have a serial port ( DH+). If the card you have is a 1784-PCMK. Then RSLinx should work for you. What is the cat. no. for your card.

I have worked on RSLogix. You can use DH+ card or serial port. Communication will be stablished with out any problem. It is all right that you will load RSLinx drivers from the same CD.
Zafar

As Mickey stated, the processor you mentioned does not have a serial port on it. It only contains a DH+ port. You will use the same card and cable you have always used. Only the software is different.

In addition to RSLogix5 you should also have RSLinx. In the past with 6200 all of your configuration for that card was done in 6200. Now you must use RSLinx to setup a communication driver.

So you actually use two packages now. RSLinx will be where you go to do initial setup to allow the computer and the PLC to talk to each other. After that has been done, you only need to use RSLogix5.

For example, you can go into RSLinx and create a driver for DH+. Let's just say that we will call it "DHPLUS". Then maybe you have another PLC that does have a serial port. In RSLinx you create an additional driver that we will call "SERIAL". Then in RSLogix5 when you want to go online with your PLC, you simply choose to use either "DHPLUS" or "SERIAL".

Previously in 6200 you would have only one driver at a time. You had to reconfigure each time you wanted to use a different communications method.

Also, those two drivers we have "created" would also be available to any other Rockwell software such as: RSLogix500, PanelBuilder, RSView.

So RSLinx is a central location for creating drivers. All other A-B/Rockwell software uses RSLinx for comms.

Takes some getting used to after using 6200, but it is much more convenient in the long run.

OG

Hello jtorres_2_77.

Just a small warning. If that old DH+ card is a KT or KTX card, you may have problems getting it to work on a new PC. Even if there is an ISA slot available, the FSB speed may be too high for the card. I have had that problem in the past.
If on the other hand, it is a PKTX card, you can ignore the above warning.

JesperMP said:
Hello jtorres_2_77.

Just a small warning. If that old DH+ card is a KT or KTX card, you may have problems getting it to work on a new PC. Even if there is an ISA slot available, the FSB speed may be too high for the card. I have had that problem in the past.
If on the other hand, it is a PKTX card, you can ignore the above warning.

The reason for the problem is explained in Knowledge base

1784-KT/B does not function reliably on computers with bus speeds higher than 33 MHz
trnsp.gif
Answer The 1784-KT/B was designed for PCs with 33 MHz bus speed or lower. The 1784-KT card does not work, or at least not reliably, on PCs with bus speeds higher than 33 MHz. We therefore recommend, if PCI slots are available, the 1784-PKTX or 1784-PKTX/D if the bus speed of your PC is higher than 33 MHz.

If the PC is an older PC, having bus speeds of 33, 66, or 100 MHz, and it only has ISA slots, the replacement for the 1784-KT/B card is a 1784-KTX or 1784-KTXD.

I am so glad I am using ethernet now!

However, back in the day, I found the best way to ensure communication with my DH network was with a desktop 1770-KF2. That way, all you have to worry about is serial comm. and no special cards. I don't even know if these are still available from AB, but you should be able to pick one up surplus for a decent price.