• No music just back ground noise

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Ok, so if music can soothe the savage beast...just think of what it can do for us.

The past week and the next 3 are going to be hell, with many projects still on the burner and very little time to do them, I need to focus on the projects at hand and get them done.

What has helped is listening to music, but that has also got me thinking...what is the best music to help you concentrate?

So what helps you? music or other?

I wish I could have music while programming at work, especially with headphones. But I have to answer questions from our shop assembly/testing floor and answer calls from customers. I would probably get 4 measures into a piece when an interruption would occur. Ah well.

When I'm concentrating on something, it doesn't matter what's on the radio; I don't hear it. It could be Car Talk, Rush Limbaugh, or music of any type.

When I can't concentrate, it doesn't matter whether the radio is on or off. Neither music, talk, or silence is going to help. That's when I know I need to take the dog for a walk in the woods.

For brain music when designing and programming, its soft volume jazz (my vote) and certain selected classical, and certain selected new age artists, though I'm more picky about what works with the latter two. But as often as not, I opt for silence.

For panel building, startup up, and other work where I'm more physically active, its classic rock, 25+ year vintage rock.

Talk radio is for driving.

Every so often, I get up and leave the monitor for a while. I find I can be more productive if I step away occasionally. I frequently head to the commnunity rec. center for a lunch time work out also - that really helps with stress management and it can clear your head for another spell at the monitor.

But in the end, if truth be told, I find that nothing helps concentration more than a looming deadline.

Music

Depends. When I need an Idea to solve a problem, Classical, or peace and quiet. Following an idea that has just hit me..... 70's music, in the background.

Alaric has a point about deadlines.

I enjoy what I do, so it isn't that hard to concentrate on whatever project. However, a break from any task is a sure way to gain a new prospective.

...my music tastes are far too eclectic to vote in the poll!

House music (or sometimes classical)
coffee (or Kalua, when I am not at work - it still contains coffee)
And most importantly, an interesting problem.

Oh, and deadlines sometimes help as well.

Deadlines, that definately works.

Otherwise The Sisters of Mercy and Within Temptation is what's loaded in my iPod right now. WHen I need to communicate with my boss or co-workers I keep one ear unplugged.

Concentration

I agree with Mickey.

I also use driving, by the way making this in town. Just folow traffic lights and signs.

I can arrive somwhere, somehow.

I hope that police of my city is not sitting in this forum.

Ramunas

Pin Drop SILENCE! If I really need to concentrate, deathly silence. May sound crazy but I can't even stand when someone else is listening to headphones! that bzz bzz bzz sound drives me mental
icon7.gif
Marc

Marc said:
Pin Drop SILENCE! If I really need to concentrate, deathly silence. May sound crazy but I can't even stand when someone else is listening to headphones! that bzz bzz bzz sound drives me mental
icon7.gif
Marc

I agree 100% Marc. I do not multitask well at all. If I am programming any interruption throws me for a loop. I am amazed at how my daughter can do her homework with music blaring. Different generation I guess.