Old TI PLC

normheyder

N
I am looking for a description of the operation of the Texas Insturments timer TMR. It is repersented to have two inputs, and I am assuming that these are the SET and RESET inputs. Does anyone know where I might find documentation on this timer? Or can explain its operation. Thank You.

Norm,

The Automation Direct timers will only work if you are using the TI305 or the TI405 PLC's. If you are using any other TI PLC's the times works different. You stated that you had two lines to the timer, which leads me to believe that you are using a 5TI or higher. The 305 and 405 only has one rung to the timer. The timers you are asking about has a run and reset contacts, I would guess you maybe using a TI545 since they were very popular. I hope this helps. The top line is the run and the bottom line is the reset if I remember correctly.

I remember cutting my teeth on 5TI PLCs.
A 5TI or 510 or 520 or 530 TI PLC used the TMR instruction as follows:

Both contacts had to be closed for the Timer to run. If you opened the Enable contact then timing would stop and the Timer would hold the current value. If you opened the Reset contact, the Timer reset to preset and the output went off.

Enable
|--------| |------------------------------------[ TMR ]-------( )--|
| Reset [ 100 ] |
|--------| |------------------------------------[ 50 ] |

See the post above for diagram.

The reset rung can be connected just to the left of the timer
box with a vertical branch, eliminating the reset contact if
not needed. This will allow the timer to function in a more
conventional manner.